Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing measurement data to a USB flash drive from cRIO-9075 running as headless

Hello,

I've got a problem as stated in the subject, with only one RS-232 and one Ethernet port available on cRIO-9075. The final DAQ application needs to run headlessly.

From what I have gathered, serial-to-USB adapters (that would not just physically connect but actually work in the direction required) are now rare or/and costly. So, I'm focussing on Ethernet-to-USB adapters but it's also not quite clear which ones will actually work in the headless mode, without a computer connected (I've been looking at 1, 2, 3 for instance - #2 seems the best bet?)

Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem and can offer any advice?

There are two additional factors: (1) On occasions, it would be useful to also connect a PC to the cRIO, to run a simple plotting application. This probably means using an Ethernet hub/splitter - I wonder if and how that would affect the main data storing application, (2) No access to mains (a battery will be needed) so adapters not requiring a separate power supply are preferable - but that's not a hard constraint.

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 2
(810 Views)

Hi,

Hope you haven't ordered anything yet.

1 is just a USB over twisted pair cable extender, so surely it won't work.

2 is a print server, although it can be used for USB drives, but it's software supports only Windows and Mac, so it won't work too

3 is the same thing as 1, but it can work for longer distances.

From what you have described, you have few options

1. an SBC like Raspberry Pi, or ZeroPi, to receive the data transmitted over Ethernet and save it on a USB drive. To make it work, you must have some linux knowledge.
  2. A Router which can share the attached USB drives over ftp
  3. A serial (RS232) data logger. (something like this)
Message 2 of 2
(781 Views)