From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Up VI problems with 9063 cRIO

I have an issue with setting a VI as start up as start up on my cRIO-9063.  I can deploy fine, but I have not idea how to set the VI as start up.

A little more info.  I have been deploying source distributions to a cRIO-9075 using Labview 2012.  From that experience I am used to changing a config file, and then the VI starts on start up.  That is the same as the most current documentation I can find (Here).  As a result, I am thinking interms of the cRIO-9075 while trying to set up my cRIO-9063.

I can see that the file structure has changed, and the ni-rt.ini file I used to edit no longer exist.  My source distribution has deployed succesfully, but I can not figure out how to get it run on start up.  I am coding using Labview 2015 with the Real-Time module.  I DO NOT have application builder.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,531 Views)

Hey iambaconman, 

The link you provided I believe only applies to the LabVIEW Development environment on a Windows OS. In order to build and execute your code as a start application on the target you'll need to use both the Application Builder and the LabVIEW Real-Time Module. It sounds like you have the Real-Time module, as you metioned you can deploy, but you would still need Application Builder in order to build your VIs into a target specific RT application. Once you have application builder you can create an RT application that calls the different VIs in your source distribution that is already distributed to the target.

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,519 Views)

Hey Tim A.,

In Labview 2012 it was an option to specify a VI to run on start up only using the real time module.  My mistake on the link(I have been looking all over the NI website for this answer), but this link (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CD3C7A3F58CBBAAA862570F8007D8D06) should be correct.  It should detail setting up for a Real time system only using the Real time module.

Was this feature totally removed from Labview 2015?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,512 Views)

Thanks for sharing the link. I think you added an extra ")" but otherwise it works without issue. 

The feature hasn't been removed to my knowledge. It just isn't recommended. The document you have linked includes the path to the ini file /etc/natinst/share/ni-rt.ini. So it should still work in the way that you expect for previous RT OSs. 

Please keep in mind that there isn't any guarantee this functionality will exist in later versions. We still recommend that you use a startup application instead.

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,506 Views)

Hey iambaconman, 

So it turns out that there is a change. That token is now implemented in a different file: /etc/natinst/share/lvrt.conf. If you add the same token and path configuration under the [LVRT] section it should work. I tested this on my end and it worked without issue. 

I'm updating the KB now to reflect these changes. 

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,479 Views)

KB should now be updated with the appropriate steps needed for NI Linux RT 2015. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CD3C7A3F58CBBAAA862570F8007D8D06

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,471 Views)