Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socketed CLIP implementation of Serial ports on sbRio

I am intending on purchasing a sbRio-9651 to develop our own node system which will require multiple RS-422 interfaces, which need to be implemented through the socketed CLIP generator.

I noticed that when going through the CLIP generator, I have the ability to create LabVIEW I/O nodes for DIO lines which can then be directly interfaced with within FPGA code, however there isn't a way to create an abstracted serial interface which can then be used on the FPGA.

In this presentation (slide 24), the serial interfaces are shown as appearing within MAX, regardless of whether they have been enabled in the socketed CLIP.

https://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/5058/415/1/sbRIO-9651%20SOM%20IO%20Interface%20and%20CLIP%20...

How are serial ports implemented when they are configured through the CLIP generator? Must they be used on the RT layer using VISA read/write functions? I assume this means that they cannot be used on the FPGA unless I do some low level (bitwise) serial port implementation. Is there Xilinx IP core to perform this function on the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,011 Views)

On page 23 of the slideshow, it indicates that RS-232 and RS-485 are the two protocols supported by the CLIP generator. For the RS-422, I would imagine you would need to use your own low level bitwise serial implementation.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,975 Views)

If implementing RS-422 on a low level, what is the point of the clip generator? My understanding is that the clip generator facilitates binding DIO pins to abstracted I/O nodes to be used on the FPGA or through the scan engine. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,973 Views)
To answer your questions, as far as I know— Yes, if you use the clip generator, you use RT and the serial VIs to interact with the port. Yes, if you use the clip generator, they aren't accessible from the FPGA anymore. If you don't use the CLIP generator, you're free to roll your own serial implementation and that's most often what I do. There are a number of examples floating out there using LabVIEW FPGA. Here's the first one I found after a quick search: http://www.ni.com/example/27164/en/
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,938 Views)