Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended way to deploy to a Windows-based IC-3173?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

My customer could benefit from a device with 4 PoE ports and a built-in FPGA. However, the application software also needs to integrate with 3rd-party .NET code. So, we're proposing a Windows-based IC-3173 for this project.

I've installed the Industrial Controller drivers (version 16.0, to be paired with LabVIEW 2016). When I right-click the LabVIEW Project and select "Targets and Devices..." I can see listings for "Real-Time Industrial Controller". However, I presume that its Build Specifications would be for the Linux-based devices. I can't see any listings for Windows-based Industrial Controllers.

What's the best way to set up a project for (and deploy LabVIEW-based software to) a Windows-based IC-3173?

Thanks in advance!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

Hello,

You actually will want to develop code on the IC locally and treat it like a new development computer. You will not need to add it as a target on a remote computer. The White Paper below describes this in more detail. It is for cRIO but it should work very similarly for the IC.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/13615/en/

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions.

A Johnson
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,096 Views)

@aflojo wrote:

You actually will want to develop code on the IC locally and treat it like a new development computer. You will not need to add it as a target on a remote computer. The White Paper below describes this in more detail. It is for cRIO but it should work very similarly for the IC.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/13615/en/

Thanks, I forgot that we can add an FPGA Target directly under "My Computer"!

OK, the solution involves activating LabVIEW Professional on the IC itself during development. What's the recommended way to deactivate LabVIEW before handing the IC over to the customer? (If I recall correctly, the serial number still stays in the Windows registry even after deactivating via NI License Manager -- please correct me if I'm mistaken)

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,084 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

You will need to either:

1. Deactivate the license and delete the key from the registry as you hinted to. The steps to delete it from the registry are below:

1. Select Start»Run..., enter regedit and hit Enter
  2. Select File»Export to back up your registry.
  3. Press Ctrl+F to bring up the search window.
  4. Search for your serial number and delete the entries containing it.

2. Uninstall and reinstall LabVIEW after you are done developing. This should remove the information needed to activate LabVIEW so your customer should not have access to it.

A Johnson
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(3,040 Views)