Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time control with with normal USB-DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm doing a project where I want to control a proportional pressure regulator by giving it an input voltage from 0 - 10 V. However, readings from a distance sensor will determine the level of regulation. 

My question is whether a normal NI DAQ such as the USB-6212 will be able to do this with a relatively good and constant response time for the output signal? I've had a look at the real time controllers as well, but they seem to me like a too powerful and expensive option for a relatively simple problem?

I'm looking at an output response time of at least 0.2 s, but faster will obviously be better. I realize that a DAQ is more for sampling and saving a lot of data rather than using this data as a control input for an output port. I've been warned that a DAQ will probably not work great for this application and that I should rather consider something like a PLC or microcontroller setup. I was still curious on whether it may actually work with a normal DAQ?

I'll appreciate any light shed on this topic.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,169 Views)
Solution
Accepted by EBIE

@EBIE wrote:

My question is whether a normal NI DAQ such as the USB-6212 will be able to do this with a relatively good and constant response time for the output signal?

If jitter is your concern, then avoid Windows like the plague when it comes to your control processing.  Furthermore, I would also avoid USB (I find it to be unreliable for various reasons).

Personally, I think a simple Arduino setup will meet your goals and be fairly cheap.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(2,157 Views)