From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time acquisition's time quantification

I am performing a real time acquisition with a PCI GPIB for digital data. I acquire data continiously for say 60 minutes. Now I want the clarification how exactly is this time (ie 60 minutes) exactly equal to 60 minutes? or is there any deviation? if so how is it quantified.

So, As i am using PC as time source-  This needs to be quantified or verified for time how is this done?

Vishwanath
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,946 Views)

Hey, 0.015625 seconds is the limitation of the time stamp.  If you are using a Real-Time control with the Real-Time operating system, then this is the true limitation.  If you are using Windows, then it may be this and it may not.  It is totally dependant on what Windows is doing and is out of LabVIEWs control.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
Embedded and Industrial Control
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,944 Views)

Hi Daniel Thanks for your interest!

See i am using the vi for calibration of a cesium frequency standard by comparision method which is having  an accuracy of 1x10e-11 ppm. So here the stability is measured by the time taken for change in phase. Here though i have used time stamp, i feel that as I am making measurements from a particular time to time the time has been referenced. hence the time taken will have CPU time and our time stamp will be intre[reting in reading the time from it.

So, in this case

1. how good is the cpu/ mother board time ?

2. How shall that crystal in Mother board characterised?

I hope my interpretation is right.

with regards

Vishwanath

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,933 Views)

Hey, I am a bit confused.  Are you talking about a specific real-time controller?  If so, which one. 

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,924 Views)

Hi Daniel, It's no specific I have used the time stamp as a part of my program to build a VI for capturing time vs voltage signals.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,918 Views)

Gotcha, then what I said before stands.  The time stamp in LabVIEW is a data type.  That data type is limited to 0.015625 seconds of accuracy.  That is just a limitation of the data type.  Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Dan

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,911 Views)

Hey Daniel, You are specific to labview but I am trying to see the roots. As I have explained to you probably I should debug on mother board oscillator section for its stability/accuracy specifications.

If you can throw some light something on this i will be greatfull.

vishwanath

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,908 Views)
So are you trying to do this on a windows computer?  If so, contact the manufacture.  If you are doing this on a Real-Time controller, let me know and I can get specs for you.

Thanks!

Dan
Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,897 Views)

Thank you Dan!

Vishwanath

0 Kudos