Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time or FPGA Level?!

Hi,

I'm a Labview new user and need to control the vibration of one metal plate with cRIO. The Freq. of the Measurement and Control process should not exceed KHz. Based on my actual knowledge I can build the Measurement and Control at both FPGA and Real Time Level and I don't know which one is really better than the other!

The Signal Generation like sine wave will be done much easier in Real Time level than FPGA Level and that's why I want to build my Control and Measurement at this Level! Could you tell me, if it's good decision and what is the advantages and  disadvantages of doing so?

Thanks in advance

Mohsen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,518 Views)

Hi Mohsen,

you are right, it is a little bit easier to implement signal generation and so on on the RT level as you can use the function blocks. You can implement your code and check if the possible loop rates are fast enough for your application otherwise switch to the FPGA

Kind regards

Carsten

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,500 Views)

One thing to note with a FPGA implementation is the data value representation has to be Fixed-Point rather than Doubles.  If your system can perform properly with the Fixed Point math and you require the speed, then FPGA would be your option. Otherwise, I would stick with the Real-Time implementation due to the ease of programming and ensuring data integrity by using data values of type Double (being that your application can make real-time).  Just my two cents...

Plus, I actually didn't have this problem, but I was curious what the "Me Too" button did...opps!

-You can never have too much power...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,494 Views)

Hi All,

thanks for your antworts! I know now, where to start my project.

Best Regards

Mohsen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,473 Views)