Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real-Time Disk Utilities

I have LabVIEW 2010 DS1 installed with the Feb2011 drivers (MAX 4.7.7f0) and none of the items under the Tools>Real-Time Disk Utilities menu are enabled except for the Create Desktop PC Utility USB Drive. I have the Real-Time Module installed. Any ideas how to access those tools (or just download them from somewhere?).

I would like to try the floppy disk tools because I can not get the USB Utility Disk to work correctly. It appears to boot to the flash disk, but gets stuck at "Transferring control to the user program." with "KT01480" displayed in the top right corner of the screen. We have successfully setup an identical SBC with the RT OS a few years ago (older version), but I vaguely remember having quite a bit of difficulty getting that to work as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,178 Views)

Hey C. Minnella, 

I am seeing the same behavior on my computer. I am in the process of checking different setups to see if it is unique to certain versions of MAX, and/or if we are deprecating these features. I will be in touch with my findings. Thanks!

~kgarrett 

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,170 Views)

Any progress on those disk utilities? I've been looking at "Transferring control to user program." for three days, and I'm starting to think it's a lie. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,149 Views)

Hey Minnella, 

I have been talking to some of our LabVIEW experts and they have all informed me that those features which are greyed out have been deprecated. If I can get some more information from you, we will see if we cant get your USB Disk Utility working. What hardware (controller, modules, etc) are you using? How large is the USB drive you using?

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(4,143 Views)

Hey kgarrett, it actually is desktop hardware. It's an ampro mightboard 800. http://www.ampro.com/products/MightyBoard/mightyboard_800/

Like I said, we did get this to work on an identical machine a few years ago; I'm not sure which version of LabVIEW/LV RT was current at the time. How far back would I have to go to get access to the floppy disk tools?

Thanks,

Chris

as an aside, there would probably be less confusion about the depracated tools if they weren't present in the menu..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,136 Views)

Good morning Minnella, 

I agree that it would make much more sense to have deprecated features not be present. You can give that feedback on the Idea Exchange and our developers will respond. I really think it will be easier to use the USB utility, and I can help you with the error you were receiving. However, if you are set on using the floppy utility, I will inquire with our experts as to wht you would need to do to access the floppy utility. Thanks!

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,128 Views)

Hah! You inspired me to play with more bios parameters, and I came across a winning setup. Here's a quick review of things I tried:

• 16GB stick and a 128MB USB stick with the same results
  • In the bios I can enable/disable each USB bus, which each have 2 ports. I have tried cutting it back to 2 ports (1 bus enabled), and I have tried booting up in different ports.
  • The only things plugged in are ethernet, monitor (VGA port), and a PS2 keyboard, and USB stick. There are two ethernet ports on this machine, and I vaguely recollect that one of them is not supported by the RT OS. I tried switching the network connection and removing the network connection. Only one of the two "enabled" lights glows green. I have also eliminated the internal disk from the boot order.
  • Back in the bios, I disabled any unused interface including audio, Secondary IDE, and Floppy (this board has a floppy controller, but no drive)

Success!!, I went back to figure out which interface was giving me trouble, and it turned out to be the secondary IDE interface.

I am attempting to run the Evaluate system action right now. If it's working, it seems to be taking a very long time. I'll get back to you I find something else that is required to make this run. I wonder if I need to re-enable the interal hard drive for this to work properly..

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,126 Views)

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress beyond getting the RT Desktop PC Utiltiy Collection menu up. When I make a selction, the program seems to hang. Any thoughts?

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(4,124 Views)

Hey Minnella, 

I am continuing to look into this issue, and am waiting to hear back from our LabVIEW expert. I will be in touch as soon as I have more suggestions for you. Thanks!

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(4,119 Views)

Hi Minella, 

I wanted to check to see how you had formatted your USB drive before trying the USB Utility in MAX. When you see the CD in a Windows Explorer, right-click it and select format. Make sure it is FAT 32. If it is not, select FAT 32 and try the USB Utility again. If it is, please post back. Thanks! 

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(4,110 Views)