Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Serial port continuously while analyzing it

Dear all; i have a system which are generating signals like single point information and measured vale (short floating point value) with different address; i attached its picture (type,Number(addresses), Value,Flags, Time).

How can i read this type of live data and analyze it according to different address and update each one continuously in Labview NXG; its my first time to work in Labview; kindly explain in more details.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,238 Views)

Hello ubairkazi,

What do you mean by 'update each one continuously'? Would you mind explaining a little bit more what you would like to do? Also, I would recommend looking at the examples and/or the lessons inside NXG to have a better idea of how to use LabVIEW if this is your first time using it, so you can have a better idea of how it works and how to start your gvi.

It will depend on how this data is acquired, which is the format it has, the type of file in which it is stored and so on.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,210 Views)

Hi Jdel12;

I already test the SCADA Server port with serial (DB9) cable connecting to my laptop by checking on IEC Test Software; I can see all the signals on IEC Test Software but I want to access those signals (Digital & Measurements) in Labview and also show them in graph or states in Labview while continuously reading the serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,180 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am working on Labview2017 for reading the measurement & digital values from serial port of a server (which is already configured all the field side signals and send the status and measurement signals through the serial port with different address). I already test the this Server port with serial (DB9) cable connecting to my laptop by checking on IEC Test Software; I can see all those signals in IEC Test Software (pic is attached) but I want to access those signals (Digital & Measurements) in Labview and also show them in graph (for measurement signals) and states (digital signals) in Labview while continuously reading the serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,185 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am working on Labview2017 for reading the measurement & digital values from serial port of a server (which is already configured all the field side signals and send the status and measurement signals through the serial port with different address). I already test the this Server port with serial (DB9) cable connecting to my laptop by checking on IEC Test Software; I can see all those signals in IEC Test Software (pic is attached) but I want to access those signals (Digital & Measurements) in Labview and also show them in graph (for measurement signals) and states (digital signals) in Labview while continuously reading the serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,189 Views)

Hi ubairkazi,

I would recommend that you take a look at the resources below before attempting to develop LabVIEW code for your application:

Serial Instrument Control Tutorial

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/2897/en/

Getting Started: LabVIEW Basics

https://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/

Also, could you elaborate on what specific problem you are encountering when developing your code? This will help me provide you with more specific resources for your application. There are many different ways to read serial data into LabVIEW and use it programmatically and it will be hard for me to offer any more specific assistance without knowing what specifically you are struggling with or having trouble implementing.

Unfortunately, there is not a button that you press in LabVIEW and it reads in all of your data. You still have to write LabVIEW code (probably using NI-VISA) to perform a read to the serial port, then process and log the data you receive.

Best,

Duncan Waldrop

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,147 Views)