Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NI softmotion in LabVIEW

I am using a nema 23 stepper motor with NI 9512 module and P7000 series drive. cRIO 9076 in scan mode.

I am not using an encoder, so i am going to use "write expressVI" (which will take the data from crio) and "read expressVI" which will tell me the position.

Can someone give some inputs regarding this, am I on the right track?

One more doubt, I am confused about what mode should I program the motor, to position setpoint or velocity setpoint?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,224 Views)

Hi nehap,

I am not familiar with SoftMotion, but on your last question:

One more doubt, I am confused about what mode whout I program the motor, to position setpoint or velocity setpoint?

It very much depends on what it is that the motor is connected to and what it is controlling (basically, the control algorithm you are using). You don't give enough information on what you intend on doing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,195 Views)

Hey Nehap,

It sounds like you are starting out with your softmotion project which I would HIGHLY recommend working with the example project's.  The one I would recommend is the Axis Straight Line project.  This is a good starting point so you can see the necessary inputs/outputs, structure of a softmotion VI and get you working with the motor.

If you would like more recommendations, I'd recommend giving us a high level understanding of what you are accomplishing with the motor and how you want to motor to work (i.e. run at a constant speed or have set points to go between at certain speeds).

Hope this helps!

-Bear 

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,190 Views)

Hi BradM,

I have a value of an angle in degrees which is fed to a PID controller and the output of PID controller is to be given to the stepper motor.

The stepper motor is connected to a 1:1 gear box (single input and twin output gear box) and will rotate my device (a pair of fins). The angle limiter to the fin rotation is +-25deg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,183 Views)

Thanks bear. I figured out that i will have to use Write and Read expressVIs to write the cRIO output to the drive and read the output as i dont have an encoder. I hope i am right.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,182 Views)