Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTwatchdog

Just tried to open an example vi that uses the hardware functions found in RTwatchdog.llb.  Lib is nowhere to be found on either of my LV8.2 RT develpment machines.  I know I had this when I was running LV7.x and am pretty sure I had it when I was running LV8.0.   Unable to find this lib on the NI web page.  Hopefully I don't have to uninstall and reinstall.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,370 Views)

Hi centerbolt,

Try looking for it in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\LabVIEW\your version and placing it into the version you'd like to use. You might need to reinstall your RT module for the version you'd like to use now.

Amanda Howard
Americas Services and Support Recruiting Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,351 Views)

Amanda,

This library is definitely not anywhere on this computer.  Sounds like I get to reinstall RT.  Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or just reinstall.  I've got a full develpment system here and I'm a bit leery of reloading a bunch of stuff right now.  I still can't figure out why it didn't install this library the last time I installed RT on this machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,348 Views)
Hi,

I'm not sure what may have caused this either. Let's try uninstalling the version of the LabVIEW Real-Time module you are working with and reinstalling it. Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how that works out! Happy holidays!
Amanda Howard
Americas Services and Support Recruiting Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,335 Views)

Have you installed the watchdog support for Real-Time using the driver CD?  I don't recall exactly when they moved, but I believe the Watchdog VIs are only installed from the Driver CD now.  (in the Driver CD installer, look under "Real-Time and Embedded" then "NI-Watchdog".)

Once installed, your VI should load normally, but if you're looking for the VIs on disk, they'd be installed at [National Instruments]\LabVIEW 8.x\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib\RTwatchdog.llb.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,224 Views)
Thanks for everyone's replies.  The driver disk installer was completely convinced that the RTWatchdog option was installed.  By uninstalling RealTime and drivers and then reinstalling, I was able to get the lib on my harddrive.  Too bad LV installer didn't go ahead and add it to the palette!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,118 Views)

I just completed installing LabVIEW 8.6 & the RT module on a Windows XP system that had LabVIEW 8.5 & RT on it.  I also installed NI-DAQ 8.7.2.  I now have no RT watchdog menus in either LabVIEW 8.5 or 8.6.  I also cannot open applications in LV8.6 that reference RTwatchdog.llb.  RTwatchdog.llb exists in my C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib folder but not my C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib folder.

I found the MSI (dmxlvsupp.msi) in the LV support folder (NI-DAQ872\Products\NI-DAQmx\LVsupport) that appears to contain the watchdog items and reinstalled it, but that didn't fix anything either.  Any ideas?

I installed LabVIEW 8.6, the LabVIEW RT 8.6 module, and NI-DAQ 8.7.2 all from separate internet downloads from ni.com which should theoretically work, but always seems to have a lesser success rate than installs from CD/DVD media.

I've also tried this install on systems that had no previous version of LabVIEW on it, and the same problem exists.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,949 Views)
“RTwatchdog.llb exists in my C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib folder but not my C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib folder”

Hey Ron,

In which version vi.lib folder does the RTwatchdog.llb appear? If it appears in the 8.6 folder, you should be able to use these functions in a LabVIEW 8.6 Real-Time VI.

The RTwatchdog functions should only appear on the functions palette of a Real-Time VI. Are you looking on the functions palette of a regular VI?

To create a new Real-Time VI, open LabVIEW and select “New Real-Time Project” from the Getting Started window. Alternately, with LabVIEW open select the File menu and click “New…”. Select Project>>Project from Wizard>>Real-Time Project.

The watchdog functions should now be accessible in the Functions palette on your block diagram under Real-Time>>Real-Time Watchdog.

I hope this helps 🙂
David G
Sales Engineer - SE Michigan & N Ohio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,931 Views)

RTwatchdog.llb appears in my LV8.5 vi.lib folder, but not the LV8.6 vi.lib.  In the systems where I only have 8.6 version installed, it does not appear at all.  It appears that the NI-DAQ 8.7.2 distribution is the package that should create RTwatchdog.llb in the vi.lib folder, but it doesn't for some reason.  I also tried downloading and installing NI-DAQ 8.8, but that didn't help either.

In other historical forum posts, I have seen mention of this same problem in LabVIEW versions 7.1 and 8.2.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,922 Views)
Hey Ron,

Since the RTwatchdog.llb file exists on your hard disk, we can try pointing to these Vis through a custom sub-palette on your functions palette in LabVIEW.

First, copy the RTwatchdog.llb file from your 8.5 directory (C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib) to the 8.6 directory (C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\Targets\NI\RT\vi.lib). Do not cut and paste, otherwise you will move the file into the 8.6 directory only.

Next, open LabVIEW 8.5 and create a custom palette. This KnowledgeBase article details how to add a custom palette in LabVIEW. Step V of this KnowledgeBase is helpful as well. Insert the RTwatchdog.llb file in your 8.5 directory.

Finally, close LabVIEW 8.5 and open LabVIEW 8.6. Repeat the steps in the KnowledgeBase article for LabVIEW 8.6.

Now both versions of LabVIEW will have the RTwatchdog functions available when you open a Real-Time VI. Enjoy 🙂
David G
Sales Engineer - SE Michigan & N Ohio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,898 Views)