From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT microprocessor.vi: Connection failed........

I'm trying to go back through the "build your own" seminar exercises with my RIO Eval unit. Am using a direct connection using a crossover cable. The unit is visible in MAX, which says it is connected and running,and is diplaying numbers for system resources.

Have gone back and forth reconfiguring the network settings. At the seminar we connected through routers using DHCP. No matter what I do, when I try to execute RT microprocessor.vi, I get a conflict resolution dialog that says "Unable to resolve from current dialog", and "Connection failed.  The network address might be invalid or the target is not responding. " 

For what it's worth, the IP settings on the computer host port are IP 10.0.0.1; mask 255.255.0.0; gateway 10.0.0.0

RIO settings are ip 10.0.0.2; mask 255.255.0.0, gateway blank

If it means anything, when I look at Controller Settings tab in MAX it says it "could not read or write settings on this device...." and the checkboxes are grayed out.

1) Any suggestions re problem above?

2) Are these exercises worth doing again or should I be looking at more informative material at this point anyway??

Thanks,

BG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,041 Views)

try the settings below

HOST:

IP address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Target:

IP address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS IP: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Once configured, you can find the target and change all the settings in NIMAX including software install/unsuall. If not, you need to check the ethernet configuring. Have a look at this page

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14118/en/#top

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,030 Views)

Thanks, but the problem isn't that I can't find the target.  I've already been able to find the target and install updated software, but I can't get it to deploy and run the vi. What am I missing here? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,026 Views)

If you can change all the settings in NI MAX, I think the ethernet is working well. 

"Unable to resolve from current dialog"? That means the target must be busy doing something.Just reset the target ,wait for 10 seconds and deploy the vi again?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,024 Views)

I think I've tried that reset several times. I saw another thread where resetting was discussed and apparently there are a couple of levels for the sbRIO (not well documented), depending on how long one holds the button? 5 seconds for reset lite, and something like 10 secs for the nuclear option? Maybe I need to completely clear out the leftovers of what we did in the seminar back in August?

Going through cookbook exercises is OK, but I'd like to understand more about what I'm doing and why. Anybody suggest a good place to start? Seems like the help files tend to send one around in circles and suggest actions be taken that aren't explained.

Thanks,

BG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,021 Views)

Hi bill_gilbert,

There is a bit of documentation about the sbRIO Evaluation board (sbRIO-9636) that can be found in the following specifications manual.  It discusses the function of the status lights and reset buttons as well as some of the other toggle options you can work with in Measurment and Automation Explorer (MAX).  Additionally, the CompactRIO Developers' Guide might be a great resource for looking at things you can do with the sbRIO, since they are somewhat similar in function.  Please have a look at the links I have provided below and let us know if you are still having issues with the device!  

sbRIO-9636 Operating Instructions and Specifications

CompactRIO Developers' Guide

| Zach J. | Systems Engineer, HIL and Test Cells | National Instruments |
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,004 Views)

Thanks Zach. Will give those a good read before making any more noise. Should have located that manual on my own.

When all else fails, read the directions.....

BG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,999 Views)

Problem solved:

Had been working on this on my own time when the NI phone support was unavailable. Stayed home late enough last Friday morning to get through to an NI engineer. He nailed the problem pretty quickly. Turns out there are three places the IP address of the target needs to be entered correctly:

NI MAX, so setup comms can work,

In the project explorer where the target device first appears in the tree (right click properties)

and in the RT application itself in the resource control or constant (maybe this could just be an alias?)

In the worshop exercise I was trying to duplicate,  the IP setting in Proj Explorer tree had been preconfigured and the device connected, so these steps were glossed over in the exercise notes. I'm connecting wirth a crossover cable and had to change the address since we were using DHCP from switches in the worshop. I needed to set the correct IP in proj tree and order the system to connect. The error dialogs just couldn't tell me that.

Works now.

BG 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,956 Views)