Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT Disk Utility Create PC USB Disk Utility will not recognize USB device

Solved!
Go to solution

When I use the utility the error "Unable to detect USB drives" appears even though a FAT 32 (and late simple FAT) mass storage device is detected.  This is with the latest 8.6 software and I need the USB this is the only format which supports 8.6 RT software. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,809 Views)

If you completely circumvent MAX with its magnificently upgraded blindness and directly use the non-NI utility to format the USB drive, it will work.

Take the "mbrfat.bin" and "makebootfat.exe" files from the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\PXI_Disk\8.6\usbfiles\makebootfat" directory and copy them into the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\PXI_Disk\8.6\usbfiles" directory.

From the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\PXI_Disk\8.6\usbfiles" directory, run the following command with your USB drive inserted:

makebootfat -o usb -2 fat16lba.bin -3 fat32lba.bin -m mbrfat.bin -F image

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, you can still format the RT with 8.5 and then install 8.6 over it if you have an ethernet connection to the RT.

Message 2 of 13
(7,806 Views)
Thank you very much those both worked
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,792 Views)

Hello everyone,

This was reported to R&D (# 120979) for further investigation. A possible workaround is to use the command line executable, as described above.

Cheers.

| Michael K | Project Manager | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments |

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,787 Views)

I should expand on the workaround described above, which I have read in more depth.

You should not move "mbrfat.bin" and "makebootfat.exe" files to any other directory nor call them from the command line

The workaround suggested by NI is to run the command [NI DIR]\RT Images\Utilities\PXI_Disk\X.x\usbformat.exe usb from the command line, where X.x is your LabVIEW version. This will format and install the Utility USB Drive on the first available USB drive.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

| Michael K | Project Manager | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments |

Message 5 of 13
(7,775 Views)

Unfortunately, I had already tried that approach, and the RT hangs and won't ever install software properly.  At this point, I'm just doing whatever is possible to get my assembly line of RT creation up and running again.

Our hopes and dreams go out to R&D.

Message Edited by Yevoc42 on 08-15-2008 10:42 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,744 Views)

Has this been resolved? I've tried both methods (with 8.5.1) and it's not doing anything.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,234 Views)

more specifically "Error 21 getting disk extents for volume \\?\storage#removablemedia#6&db9e1c5&0& .. etc .. rm#<53f .. etc .. >."

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,230 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Taylor.Kendall

We have solved this problem by creating the usb device at the command prompt.  

At the command prompt navigate to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\PXI_Disk\8.5.1. Easy way to do this is to use the string nce there insert the USB drive you wish to format and type “usbformat usb”.  This should format the USB device, returning to the command prompt after it is finished. 

Do not do this with your ipod attached to the computer it will crash the computer.  Other than that everything seems to be working fine 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,204 Views)
Yep, I tried that and got the above error.  
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,199 Views)