Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically connect LabVIEW application to cRIO on computer without LabVIEW development system

Dear NI geniuses,

I have a probably stupid question.

I have worked for months on a application that includes VIs that runs on a cRIO on one side, and another part that runs on a host PC. I use network streams to communicate beween the two.

I have created a source distribution that is deployed on my real-time target, and I can start it from my host VI on the PC using the VI server. I even created an application with the PC side of my application, and it works fine, as long as the cRIO was previously connected in a LabVIEW project.

But it seems that if the cRIO has not been connected in a project, it won't communicate with the host when I launch my application (without having rebooted the cRIO in between). I would like to transfer my application to a computer without the labview development, but I'm not sure how things are going to go with this connection to the cRIO.

Do I have to programmatically connect to the cRIO before opening the application reference via VI Server or should the 'Open application reference' VI also do the connection ? It is no clear at all to me...

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,064 Views)

You need to build a RealTime application and deploy it to the cRIO and make sure it is deployed to run on boot.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,038 Views)

Thanks for your reply. So you mean that  it is not possible to use just a host PC as an application and a source distribution ? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,005 Views)

The cRIO is its own computer.  You have to treat it as a different computer.  You deploy an application to the cRIO and then it can run that application when it is turned on.  You can then use TCP/IP to communicate between the application you have running on the cRIO and the application you have running on your PC.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,000 Views)