From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem to connect a datataker 500 with Labview driver

Hello ,
I have some problems using labview driver with a datataker model 500 if someone could help me, it would be great!!!!!

I am using a datataker 500 to collect datas by the labview driver version 1.00.
I am using labview  version8.2.
I connected the dataker by a RS32-usb cable to my computer.
It is recognized in the visa programm in the sofware Measurement and Automation. In Labview, I chose the good visa ressource name in Labview where there is a little icon to indicate that  the datataker is well recognized by this port.
I am using the driver high level aquirerealtimewaveformthruserial.
I followed the exemples given  in the help. But I replaced by a voltage measure because I do not use a thermocouple as in the exemple given online.

http://www.datataker.com/products/Labview/Introduction_dataTaker_Instrument_Driver/getting%20started...

When I run Labview I have no errors but in the exemple it is said that it should stop after 60 s.
In my case Labview never stops and I do not have any graph on the XY graph.
During the simulation I placed a 'retain wire values' which does not indicate anything  when it is running.
Furthermore, I highlighted the execution and I have a green arrow situated on the driver but nothing happens.
I have already tried with the exemple  highlevelrealtimeaquisitionserial but same problem no signals received by my computer.

Is someone could help me please?
Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,929 Views)
Hi,

It seems like the comms with the device is stalling the execution. Can you comunicate with the instrument from a VISA test panel in measurement and automation explorer? Does it respond to the *IDN? command?
Have you got your serial settings correct (Baud, parity, flow control)? Does the device require a termination character?

Regards

Jon B
Applications Engineer
NI UK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,917 Views)

HellO Jon, thank you for your answer.
I am using in my case the com 6 (ASRL6::INSTR).
When I open the measurement and automation sofware, I  click on 'ports (Serial Parallel)' then I have

COM3:
ressource name: COM3
interface name :
ASRL3 (com 3)
setting: 9600 8N1

COM6:
ressource name: COM6
interface name :
ASRL6 (com 6-prolific-usb to serial comm port)
setting: 9600 8N1

I click on COM6 and it is said that my device is working properly.
But this morning I unplugged only the RS 32 which goes to the datataker and nothing changed so I think it does not mean that my computer receives informations from the datataker.
IT just means that the cable usb-rs32 is well plugged in the computer. Am I right?
Then I opened visa test panel and click on 'Write'  ( in Buffer it is written '*IDN?\n) and  click on execute' but nothing changes.

Is it normal?  How do I know that the DAQ device responds to the *IDN or command?

For the parameters of COM6: I cheked on my device by clicking:
measurement and automation / ports (Serial Parallel) / COM 6 / Port setting

Baud:9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: none

In the tutorial
http://www.datataker.com/products/Labview/Introduction_dataTaker_Instrument_Driver/getting%20started...
It is said to put: flow control Xon/Xoff in Labview
I tried to write Xon/Xoff or none but nothing changed.
For the termination character I do not know if the device nedds it.

Palmolive 44: Edinburgh (UK)
Thank you
Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,909 Views)
Hello,
I found a solution to my problem.
It comes from the usb-RS232 device.
We had a both female-male RS232 plug. The male plug had only 6 pins instead of 9 on the RS232 plug and the female plug had 9 holes.
We tried to connect it directly to a computer and it worked.
The usb plug that I had a RS232 male but with 9 pins so I pluged the USB-RS232 (male 9pins) to the RS232 (femaile 9 holes)-RS232 (male 6pins) and then connect RS232 (male 6pins) to the datataker.

I think there must be some bridges or wires connected between several pins in the  male RS232 plug with only 6 pins.
I don't know but it works.
Great.
Thank you for your help
Palmolive44: (Edinburgh)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,892 Views)