From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance profile: typical times for DAQ VIs

I am surprised to see in the Performance profile window an AI BUFFER READ time of 23ms for 640 scans. The VI I use is directly derived from "Simultaneous I/O buffered" example VI. Does it mean it is impossible to make real-time analysis (filters,integrals...) on 640 samples without having such a delay ? I mean: Would even a minimal processing on those 640 samples take in the best case about 23 ms ? Is it impossible to make simultaneous I and O with hundreds of samples at input and output rates higher than 1/23ms ?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,999 Views)
I would consider this more of a general DAQ (not the real-time environment) but your question leads me to wonder if the real-time environment might be a better solution.

At any rate, with your current setup doing DAQ in Windows, let's see if we can address your question. How many channels are you acquiring? What is your configured sampling rate? The delay you mentioned would be perfectly normal if you are sampling at around 27,826 scans/second (scan rate input to AI Start). If we do the math, 1/27826 = 3.59376e-5 seconds / scan. Multiply by 640 scans = 0.023 sec = 23 ms. If you are scanning much faster than this, say 50,000 scans/second or more and are still seeing this 23 ms delay, there may be a problem.

One note about Windows is that it is not determini
stic, so you mentioned best case was around 23 ms. You may have seen higher as well. With LabVIEW RT (real-time) you can achieve deterministic performance, though if you were scanning around 30,000 scans/second as mentioned above, you would still see the ~23 ms delay for your operation simply because it takes ~23 ms for 640 scans to come in at 30,000 scans/second.

If this did not answer your question, you might consider contacting technical support via the "Contact NI" link in the upper-right corner of this page, and clicking on the link under Technical Support.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,999 Views)