Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8187 alwayes boot RT in safe mode

Trying to boot RT on PXI-8187 controller with original setup, what ever RT boot selection is used either hardware switch or BIOS RT boot option, the terminal will show the following:
Unable to load LabVIEW RT from drive!

Booting safe mode from ROM...

mount: Mounting /dev/Ma1 on /home/ftp/c failed: Invalid argument
Entering safe mode.
IP address is: 0.0.0.0

Of course after that you can't do any thing to configure the RT target from the MAX on the host computer.

Please Help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,295 Views)
Hi Manora,
I had this problem. You have to check by booting in windows to see if the file system is FAT 32. or else your RT labview would not have been loaded properly.
The file system should not be NTFS.

But mine did not have the mount error.

This can be one reason.

Swam
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,286 Views)
Thanks,
The initial was NTFS but it has evolved:
I used the recovery CD to change the file system to NTFS, it took a while and it installed windows XP from scratch differently from FirstWare that ghosts it (I think). And it didn't install any NI stuff what so ever.
At the end I got the same result as with using the remote system format disk option.
i.e. The RT controller boots in safe mode displaying the previous message without the mount error but this time I can configure the IP address.
Still I can't install software to it, I get the list of features to install, I select them and press next, then I get a dialog saying:
Cannot process install because other dependencies are required:
LabVIEW RT 1.0.1
LabVIEW RT 6.0.1
LabVIEW RT 6.1.0
LabVIEW RT 7.0.0
LabVIEW RT 7.1
Is this a host or RT Controller issue now?
What's next? Thanks for the help
manora
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,280 Views)
Hi, manora,

I just want to double-check with you, is the file system NTFS or FAT32? It definitively needs to be FAT32 if you have an 8187, otherwise LabVIEW RT will not work with it. I asked again, because you are saying that you use the Recovery CD to change the file system to NTFS (?). When you use the Recovery CD, it actually doesn't install the LabVIEW Real-Time software on the controller, that process needs to be done from MAX, from Remote Systems.

If you are still getting this error message, I will recommend installing one software component at a time. Start by selecting LabVIEW Real-Time 7.1 from the select components list, and if that goes right, then proceed with the rest of the components.

Let me know if anything goes wrong. Have an excellent day!

GValdes
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,265 Views)
NTFS was a typo, it is FAT32.
I was working with LabVIEW and RT ver 7.0, apparently it does not support the 8187 though I used driver reference from NOV 04 (if it matters).
Tried LabVIEW and RT ver 7.1 and it started working right away. Guess I need to do some upgrading.

10X for the help,
I think since PXIs are closely related to RT targets NI should have the file system issue more clear, like on the PXI trouble shooting guide or some paper that comes with controller stating it is supplied with NTFS.

manora
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,257 Views)