Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for adding serial ports to cRIO-9035

Solved!
Go to solution

We just bought a cRIO-9035 to replace an older cRIO. Unfortunately, I didn't notice when I bought it that we would be losing the serial port. The 9035 does have two Host USB ports, but they are intended more for storage devices. Does anyone know if there are any  USB-serial converters (NI or otherwise) that would work on a 9035? The NI-9870 is definitely an option as well, but a bit pricey if one only needs 1 serial port.

TIA,

DaveT

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,196 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave_Thomson

It works on the ARM Linux devices so it should work on the 9035. It is probably easy enough just to plug it in and see if it shows up in MAX. Here's a link to the ARM linux testing:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Documents/USB-Devices-tested-on-NI-Linux-RT-myRIO-cRIO-9...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-myDAQ/FTDI-interfacing-With-myRIO-Linux-RT/td-p/...

Message 2 of 7
(3,164 Views)

Thanks. Excellent links. I did try to search the forums, but somehow managed to miss both of those.

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,160 Views)

I actually have a Sabrent (Prolific) USB/serial adapter, and sure enough, it works! (Well, at least it shows up in MAX. Haven't actually tried using it yet.)
However, the most embarrassing part of this whole thing is that the 9035 DOES have two serial ports. I was staring right at them and missed them. They have the RJ45 (NI-ish) connector, which is why I skipped over them before.

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,158 Views)

@Dave_Thomson wrote:

However, the most embarrassing part of this whole thing is that the 9035 DOES have two serial ports. I was staring right at them and missed them. They have the RJ45 (NI-ish) connector, which is why I skipped over them before.

1. Those are actually RJ-50 connectors, which is a standard serial connection.

2. Be careful.  One of those ports is RS-232 and the other is RS-422/485.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,145 Views)

Thanks. I hadn't noticed that they are actually RJ50, not RJ45. As for "standard" for serial, I've seen them on other NI products (cRIO serial), but never on any of the dozens of other vendors whose serial devices I've worked with. Except maybe some UPSs. Have you seen any other vendors use them for serial? If so, do they tend to adhere to a standard pin-out? For both 422/485 and 232? (Wouldn't it be nice if there were a standard pinout for 422/485?)

I did notice that they are labeled on the cRIO that one is 232 and one is 422/485. What I couldn't find is any indication there or even in the manuals as to which was port 1! (It's the 232, as determined empirically.)

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,142 Views)

There actually is a standard for the RJ-50 for RS-232 and RS-422/485.  So not specific to NI.

As far as other places I have seen this: some TDK power supplies that look remarkably similar to NI's new line (RMX-410X series).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,138 Views)