Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open FPGA VI Reference does not execute

Hello,

i have a compiled FPGA.vi which is running in interactive execution without any problem.

But if I try to Open FPGA VI Reference to this VI/Build/Bitfile in a HostVI on a Real Time target the HostVI hangs. It is not even possible to Abort this hanging VI.On very seldom random occasions the code is running properly but most of the time the behaviour is as described above.

CRIO 9073, Labview 2010SP1, Windows 7

Best regards,

BKeune

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,509 Views)

Hi,

The reason you are seeing this issue maybe because you have DAQmx Base drivers installed. You can check this by going to MAX and checking the Software section under My System. This driver is necessary if you have the USB-9211, USB-9215, or similar devices. DAQmx Base also installs with the LabVIEW PDA Module.

Both DAQmx Base and LabVIEW FPGA use a typedef with the same name, called openstate.ctl. Although the same name, they are very different. The Open FPGA VI Reference function calls this typedef whenever you click on it in the Functions palette. So if that function is not pointing to the correct typedef, and is accidentally pointing to the typedef used by DAQmx Base, you will see this error. You may notice this issue especially if you do a mass recompile of the LabVIEW folder, which may cause the Open FPGA VI Reference function to point to the wrong typedef.

Based on that, there are a couple of solutions:

• Open the typedef openstate.ctl from c:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\addons\_hostinterface.llb. Once the typedef is open, its in memory. Then create a new VI and place the Open FPGA VI Reference function in its Block Diagram. You shouldn't get an error now. Hold ctrl and hit the run arrow to force a binary compile of the VI. This will relink the Open FPGA Reference to the proper typedef. Once you do this, you will no longer need to repeat this step since the function is pointing to the right typedef now.
    --- OR ---
  • Go to c:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\addons\_LVRLP\Open\ and rename the openstate.ctl to openstate_DAQmxBase.ctl

The second solution is the preferred solution. If both of these solutions are not viable then please upgrade to the lastest version of the FPGA module as this issue had been fixed in LabVIEW FPGA Version 8.0.

Houssam Eddine Kassri

NI Germany

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,495 Views)

Thank you for your comments. I'm afraid the solution to the described problem was rather simple. I have the feeling that I overloaded the chip and processor at the beginning to much with faulty code. After formatting the drive and reinstalling the software packages (both in MAX), resetting and programming more smooth code the problems vanished.

Best regards,

Bonaqua

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,483 Views)