From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Streams on myRIO fails to transfer data when the main Ethernet connection is enabled

Hello,

I am using a myRIO 1900 for collecting data from 2 I2C accelerometers. The data are read in a 1kHz timed loop and transferred in bunches of 500 samples to the host using a Network Streams communication. myRIO uses the classic IP addresses for target (172.22.11.2) and host (172.22.11.1). The laptop is a Dell XPS with the Ethernet port on an external dongle connected via a USB-C. The computer is also connected to an internal combustion engine ECU using the Ethernet on the dongle with the address 169.254.84.155. myRIO works fine as far as the ECU is not connected. As soon as the ECU is connected and running the target and host VIs don't work and looks that the Network Streams lose or can't find the endpoints and the data are just no more transferred. ECU can't change the IP address. I tried to set the Ethernet from DHCP to static with no results.

Any suggestions?

Could be the Dell dongle that causes that?

I have never experienced any issue with other PCs and ethernets.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,375 Views)

Can you post the LabVIEW error that you get when the Network Stream fails? I'm guessing it's a timeout but could be something other.

Initially my thought is that the default NIC for the laptop is somehow interrupted or changed when the Ethernet dongle / the ECU is plugged in. You could check the network adapters before and after the device is plugged in.

Is this something that could be worked around by starting the ECU/Ethernet dongle first?

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,355 Views)

Dear a_clucker,

many thanks for your reply. This is the error that the writer endpoint gives when try to establish connection when the ECU is already connected, it is a classic timeout error.error.png

I tried what you suggested: I disabled the ECU Network adapter and ran the VIs. They were working. When I enabled again the ECU Network adapater nothing changed on Virtual NI Adapter configuration with the clock on the properties table still running.

My thought was that maybe myRIO is connected via usb on the same Ethernet dongle and this can cause the conflict.

Tomorrow I will ask my colleague on site and if so I wil ask to connect myRIO on another usb port and see what happens.

Thanks,

kind regards,

Gio

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,335 Views)

I tried both with myRIO connected to the adapter and directly to the laptop. It doesn't work. Now I chose to save the data locally on myRIO. I will continue to search for a solution to that.

Regards,

Gio

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,322 Views)

Possible workaround - could you create the network stream endpoints at the beginning of the myRIO application before the ECU portion is switched on?

Worth a try, but I fear that the data might stop anyway when the ECU communication starts up.

Another thought, could you use Wifi (either as a device or access point) to communicate with the myRIO?

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,314 Views)

Hi a_clucker,

tried many things but none of them work. As soon the ECU comes alive the communication goes down.

Also, I can't use wifi as access point. I could try to use wifi as device.

Then the case is still open! Smiley Happy

Thanks and regards,

G

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,279 Views)