Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI TimeSync stops ntpd from working correctly

I have a CompactRIO 9047 with several C-9230 modules installed running "NI CompactRIO 18.5", "NI DAQmx 18.5.0" and "NI TimeSync Time Reference for IEEE 802.1AS-2011 18.1.0". I don't actually want TimeSync because we don't have any external precision time sources, but I found that DAQmx seems to throw an error without it when I use multiple C-9230 modules in my DAQmx task.

I followed the instructions here to configure ntpd and found that the nitsmd daemon seems to override the system time. I would see the system time correctly set by NTP before quickly being skewed 30s into the future. When I stopped nitsmd, synced the system time to pool.ntp.org, synchronised the hardware clock and rebooted, the system time seemed to be correct but I have now noticed it has drifted by about 1.5s.

As far as I'm aware we don't have any PTP servers on our network so does this mean nitsmd is just open-loop syncing the system time to the real-time clock without any corrections? Is there a way I can get NTP working alongside NI TimeSync?

Message 1 of 1
(1,707 Views)