Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXIe-7820R and SMB-2163

Solved!
Go to solution

I would need a PXIe-7820R card and all 128 I/Os connected via SMB. When configuring the system I found two options to do this:

1. Use the NI SCB-68 HSDIO module and solder the through hole SMB connectors manually

2. The system configurator has an option for the SMB-2163 module, which already has the SMB connector and is also rack mountable which I would need.

Therefore I am having a bit of an issue.

1. Can I have the SCB-68 with the SMB connectors soldered from the factory? There is an image with the connectors soldered.

2. What functionality am I giving away if I am using the SMB-2163 module since the pinout is not the same as the pinout for the 7820R card?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author leon42

Hello leon42,

Per the NI PXIe-7820 Getting Started guide:

NI recommends using the following cables and accessories with the NI PXIe-7820R:

• EMI suppression ferrites (777297-01)
  • Shielded 68-Pin Connector Block for R Series DIO & HSDIO Products (782914-01)
  • Shielded R Series High Speed Digital Cable, 1m (156166-01)
  • Shielded R Series High Speed Digital Cable, 2m (156166-02)

You can find additional information about the cables and connectors for these cards here: NI 78xx Models: R Series Cable and Accessory Compatibility

Regarding the SMB-2163, the BNC connector blocks that NI provides all have internal circuitry that is not compatible with R Series Multifunction RIO devices, which translates into having to modify the cables/boards after buying them. More information here: BNC or SMB Connectors for R Series (NI 78xx) Devices

I don't expect the cards, modules, and cables to be shipped with additional soldering – unless it is explicitly specified in the documentation. You can contact sales or support for more information or specific concerns on how the product is shipped.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,275 Views)

Thanks for the explanation. I was a bit puzzled regarding the SMB-2163.

I am still puzzled why the SMB-2163 is a option in the NI cofigurator for PXIe-7820R if they are not compatible.

I will go with the SCB-68 and solder the connectors on, since this is the preferred option.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,249 Views)