Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9870 ports not detected

Hi,

I use the cRIO 9056 with several modules, among them the 9870 4-port serial interface. It was running fine for 3 years on LabVIEW 2020. I now upgraded to LabVIEW 2023 Q1 and struggle with the detection of the serial ports of the 9870. Here some details of the setup and what I have tried so far.

On the PC (Windows 11), I installed LabVIEW 2023 Q1, NI-RIO 2023 Q1, NI-VISA 22.5, and some others. I then formatted the cRIO and installed Linux RT System Image 2023 Q1, NI-VISA 22.5, NI-RIO IO Scan 23.0, NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support 21.5  and some others. The versions on the cRIO were the defaults once when installing the system image.

All the modules incl. 9870 were detected and set to Scan Mode in NI Max. I then created a project in LabVIEW and add the cRIO. I then "deployed all" from the project tree. All modules seem to work fine, just for the 9870 no ports are showing up. Not that is is powered and 3 of the ports have devices connected.

In NI Max there is actually one port showing under the Devices and Interfaces of the cRIO, it's ASRL1::INSTR with port binding /dev/ttyS0. But when I try to open the VISA test panel I get the error VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(773 Views)

I've been fighting this all week with a cRIO 9055 and 9870 module. There's a bug that's only been minimally reported. It's an issue with the serial driver itself and PXIe modules were affected as well. It was reported a month and a half ago. Only a few people have run into this issue. It's supposedly fixed in the NI Linus RT System Image 2023 Q2 update that just came out, so, try that first.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.ni-linux-rt-system-image.html#...

Good luck. I took a different approach and rolled back to 2021 but now have a different problem so I can't verify this worked for me but hopefully it will for you.

David

Message 2 of 3
(729 Views)

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I installed the Linux RT System Image 2023 Q2 on the cRIO as you suggested and it worked right away. You really saved me a lot of trouble, I don't think I would have thought of this myself.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(693 Views)