cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9220 maximum channel voltage parameters

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear NI community,

I'm going to test a battery and I need to simultaneously acquire 6 cell's voltages (4.2V each) by cRio 9039 equipped with a NI 9220 . The battery consists of six cells voltages connected in series and directly measured by our NI 9220. Considering that we have connected every AI- input at the common with a 1MOhm resistance (p.14, GettingStarted), that's the question: in the NI 9220 datasheet is reported that the Maximum voltage (signal + common mode) must remain within +-10.4 V, what does it mean? how is it related to the the maximum 'Channel to COM' voltage (+- 30 V) reported in the NI9220 Getting Started Guide?

Thanking you in advance, i wish you a good day

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boss-Hogg30

30V is overvoltage protection. You should never exceed +/-10.4V at either AI+ or AI- with respect to COM.

Overvoltage protection is there to protect the circuit in the event of a rare occurrence of a spike in the signal and not continuous operation.

For your application, since you connect the COM to -ve of a battery pack, the maximum you can measure cannot exceed 2 cells (as 3 cells will exceed the 10.4V limit).

Unless you add attenuators (resistor dividers) you cannot measure a 25V pack with an Analog input of range 20V (+/-10V).

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,002 Views)

Thank you santo_13 for your answer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(971 Views)