Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX can't find cRIO-9014

Hello,

I'm new to the cRIO world, but have used R series FPGA and Compact FieldPoint systems.  I'm having trouble seeing my cRIO-9014 in MAX Remote Systems - this is new hardware from NI, haven't connected to it yet.  Windows XP (SP2) firewall is off, the HP notebook PC is connected directly to the cRIO with an NI supplied Ethernet crossover cable, I've tried restarting the cRIO with the IP Reset switch ON, and restarting MAX.  Power LED on the cRIO indicates good power supply and Status LED is flashing once every two seconds or so (cRIO not configured).

Sotfware versions in MAX 4.5.0 are: CompactRIO Module Software 3.0; LabVIEW 8.6; FPGA 8.6.0; Real-Time 8.6.0; NI-RIO 3.0.0.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,873 Views)

Hi Al,

Did you access the IP properties on your laptop and set an IP and subnet mask? You need to do that otherwise it will try to access the IP address automatically when there is no server present (since it's connected by crossover cable). Also, have you tried just connecting the cRIO on the network just to be sure that nothing is wrong with the communication. Try those two options and let us know if you have any other questions.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,860 Views)

Al

If you are having any trouble connecting your cRIO with a crossover cable please chack the KB, it is a great step by step guide for setting everything up and configuring your IP address.

Connecting to a LabVIEW Real-Time (RT) Target with a Crossover Cable

-Hunter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,848 Views)

Thanks for the reply Hunter and Adnan.  Using the info in your postings, I was able to get the cRIO to communicate, i.e. visible and configurable in MAX, using a different laptop PC than the one I had the original problem with.  When I went back to the orginal laptop and changed the network settings I could still not see the cRIO in MAX - this problem laptop is one that is configured with our corporate infrastructure IT image.  The laptop that worked is my personal one without the infrastrucure image.  I'm wondering if there's some security thing "under the hood" that won't allow direct communication.  This could be an issue for me since I will eventually need to connect the cRIO to a corporate PC.

Do you know of any network interface cards that could cause this problem or could I be seeing the result of a software version difference between the laptop and the cRIO?  The cRIO is running LV RT 8.5.1 - my home laptop (that worked) is running LV 8.5, while the work laptop (that didn't work) is running LV 8.6.

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,833 Views)
It's not a problem with the different software version. But you might be right about the IT image; involve your IT staff and see if they can help you out with this.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,831 Views)

Al;

If you are trying to connect any Ethernet device to a Laptop and having trouble, always try turning off any wireless access. Often times the additional WiFi connection can cause issues.

Secondly, if you are worried about firewall/Security settings: here is a list of the ports that need to be enabled for NI software and hardware. You will need to enable least the ports listed below, and more if you are using programmatic FTP, data sockets, or web services.

44525 - Ethernet Target Device Discover
3079 - LabVIEW RT TCP front panel connections
3363 - VI Server
3580 - NI service Locator

As for the driver issues. The NI RIO 3.0 driver is supported for 8.5, 8.5.1 and 8.6 so as long as all 3 development systems, and the cRIO have the NI RIO 3.0 you should be fine.

-Hunter

Message 6 of 6
(4,808 Views)