Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for most suitable (& cheapest) digi I/O option

I am looking to spec a control system for someone in our organisation. I don't have many details so far, but he will have approximately 40 digital signals (a mixture of inputs and outputs). He will ideally want to control the outputs to within 1ms of the inputs changing state.

I've been thinking of the PCI-7830R. Can I run this in a PC, or does it need to be in some form of chasis? Does it require any other cards to function? Is there a cheaper option?

As an alternative, I've quoted approx. 10-20ms resolution via non-realtime labview.

Many thanks,

Dougie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,031 Views)
Hi DougieB,

I will really need more information to help you spec a sytem like this.
But to answer you question, the PCI-7830R can be used in a PC, so no other chassis is needed, however you will need to have the LabVIEW FPGA module to programme it.
Do you need only digital lines, as this board has AI as well as AO.

To look at other systems (i.e LabVIEW Real-Time and cheaper DIO boards) I will need to know what you want to do when the digital input changes, do you want to trigger something in software, or do you want to output on another digital line. If we were to look at Real-time, you would probably be looking at your 10-20ms figure to do anything meaningful, but more information is needed.

Regards
JamesC
NIUK AE

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,006 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We shouldn't need any AI / AO, digital only.

In answer to your other question, yes - when a digital input changes, we would wish to trigger something in software. The end aim is for real-time (to within 1ms) simulation of a piece of hardware. This would involve calculation of where various pieces of paper were within the printing machine at any given time, and whether specific sensor signals would be high or low. The individual asking me about this has now confirmed a max of 42 digital I/Os, but is unfamiliar with Labview / DAQ and has very little other information.

Cheers,

Dougie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,992 Views)
Hi DougiB,

Sorry about the delay, I have come up with two options, either the PCI-7811R or the PCI-7813R, both of these will fit inside a desktop PC, but it must have full-size PCI slots (and Space in the case). Also you will need LabVIEW and LabVIEW FPGA.

You best option is to ring in to the UK office on 01635 523545 and ask to talk to a sales representitive. Alternativly you can go to your MyNI Profile and get the details for you Local Sales Engineer.

Hope this helps

Regards
JamesC
NIUK AE

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,969 Views)