Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to load ETS onto a conforming PC from a CD instead of making floppies?

Just curious if anyone has tried to load the RT-ETS system onto a conforming PC by using CD's instead of the floppies. I gave it a shot and it didn't appear that it would work, but someone may have had a different result. If it's not possible (and NI is listening), maybe we should add it to our wish list for the next release of RT. It's getting more difficult to find floppy drives these days. If the loader acted more like an ISO where it could be copied to CD or compact flash, that would give us more options in the future.

Chris
Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
www.practicalphysicsllc.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,076 Views)
Hi Chris,
Thank you so much for your input. We need more of this kind of input since it lets us improve upon them. Can I please suggest that you send us that feedback at http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm&temp1=&node= . All these suggestions are reviewed by the appropriate engineers for feasibility. And the more requests we get for features, the more we consider enabling them.

As you probably found out, the RT operating system is not bootable from a USB flash drive or a bootable CD. It seems like you have one of our controllers that doesn't have a floppy drive (PXI-818x series). If that is the case, you can easily change the booted OS by going through the BIOS. Also, there is an external jumper that allows you to boot into the RT OS.

I hope you fill out a feedback form so we can add your request to our list. In the meantime, consider the above solutions.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks!
Anu Saha
Academic Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,063 Views)
Thank you for the reply. I wanted to make certain I wasn't missing anything before I added it to your request queue. Since it looks like I've hit the 'end of the line', I'll go ahead and submit it.

By the way, I am building a custom embedded instrument, so the PXI related suggestions won't save me. I have ordered the floppy drive that goes with the motherboard I am using, so now I just have to wait for FedEx.

Chris
Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
www.practicalphysicsllc.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,059 Views)
I was wondering if NI could expand the list of desktop platforms on which one can run LabVIEW ETS beyond the single DELL PC that is now being supported to include some common single board computers (PICMG form factor). My reason for this suggestion is that for most applications it is not feasible to use a desktop PC. SBCs, on the other hand, are more convenient and are more widely used than desktop PCs in the embedded environment. I am currently using SBCs but often run into the problem of the boot loader being unable to boot the system because the board does not have the supported chipset. I suppose the other alternative is to open up the code so users can make modifications to the boot loader, which I see as highly unlikely.

Any ideas?

CM

PS: I'm currently using the Rocky 4786EV and contemplating using boards with dual processor Intel Xeon chips.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,012 Views)
CM,

The following document provides additional information about the requirements for a desktop PC or SBC to run LabVIEW Realtime. As you noted the correct chipsets are the critical factor as to which systems will work. Due to requirements we have for RTOS drivers for the necessary hardware we are somewhat limited as to the PCs and SBCs that can be supported at this time.

Requirements for as PC as a LabVIEW Real-Time Target
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,005 Views)
Christian:

I am aware of the requirements. The SBCs I am trying to use satisfy all the outlined criteria. In fact, ETS does successfully install. The problem arises when you try to boot the system. In one case, I could only boot from a floppy; in another case everything worked perfectly. I was able to boot from the compact flash. In the third case, the boot loader failed both with and without a boot floppy. What I am suggesting is that NI adopt one SBC, say the Rocky or its American-made equivalents, the same way NI adopted the DELL desktop. I feel this would improve the odds tremendously. Incidentally, the SBC that failed completely is a newer version of the one that worked perfectly.

Thanks,

CM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,000 Views)