Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed FPGA not in "Execution Target" list?

The VISA names you listed indicate you looked under PXI System in MAX.  There should be a group called 'NI-RIO Devices' under Devices and Interfaces.  Do you see your R Series boards under that group?  What are the VISA names there?  They should be of the format RIOX::INSTR where X is a number.  If they are there, do the following:

1) Right-click on them and select open a VISA Test Panel

2) Select the Property Node (Get) tab

3) Select Manufacturer Name from the pull down

4) Select Execute.

If VISA communication to the board is working properly you should see National Instruments returned.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,292 Views)
MAX returns the manufacturer info fine.  The RIO aliases are RIO0:INSTR through RIO5::INSTR.

I deleted all of the RIO devices through XPs Device Manager and rebooted the system but that didn't help either.  I'm stuck with no real targets in LV.

As a previous poster suggested, I compiled a simple LV FPGA vi with the "PXI-7813R <compile only>".  I then created a LV app that would open an FPGA VI reference and poll a LV FPGA indicator once every 10ms.  When I right click the "Open FPGA VI Reference" and select "External VISA Input" I can then right-click and  create a constant for that input.  The constant contains all of the PXI/RIO aliases.  However, when I select an alias and run the vi I get error (-61016) "You must compile the VI for the target".

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,288 Views)

First off...the problem now seems to be resolved.  I'm not exactly sure what the issue was though.  Having looked at the issue from so many different angles, the only thing else I could think of was a licensing/registration issue with LV FPGA.  My thought was that LV was not seeing a valid license for the FPGA module so it wouldn't allow me to download.

Digging into this I realized I pulled the "wrong" S/N (we have two FPGA module licenses but I used the same S/N for both PXI chassis).  I'm not sure that would really matter because I don't believe either chassis was ever connected to a network.   I could be wrong though.  In any case, to be sure, I uninstalled LV FPGA and re-installed using the "correct" S/N.

After rebooting, I now see all of the FPGA boards in the Execution Target list.  Not wanting to go through all of this again, I don't know if re-installing the software fixed the problem or if re-installing the software with the different S/N fixed the problem.

In either case, I appreciate the replies and all of the help that was provided.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,282 Views)