Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC-3121 with NI 9149

Hello all:

We have purchased IC-3121 and NI 9149 to develop an application using camera and analog input. IC-3121 and NI 9149 are connected to a PC with network switch (GS108E). The industrial controller devices drivers and NI compactRIO have been installed in 3121 and 9149 respectively, but we only can see the 9149 on the remote systems in MAX, but no 3121. Anyone knows why? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,740 Views)

Hello,

The IC should show up in MAX. Do you have the correct drivers installed on the host machine as well? 

You can try adding the IC by IP address in MAX. Beyond that, here is a guide for troubleshooting networked devices that do not show up in MAX. Please take a look and post back with the steps you have taken, including screenshots, if you cannot get the device to show up. 

Best, 

Aaron Douglass
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,701 Views)

Hello Aaron:

Thank you for your replay. I think I know the reason. Because our 3121 is with the Windows 7 Embedded System. So it won't show up in the MAX installed in another computer even though they are at the same network. From my understanding, 3121 behaves as a PC.

But it leads to another question. Where should I develop my application, in another computer or directly on 3121. If directly on 3121, it means I have to install Labview and adds-on and they take a lot of space on 3121. There is not much information about the industrial controller.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,699 Views)

That makes sense, I agree with you explanation about why the IC-3121 does not show up in remote systems. You can develop your application on the IC-3121 or on another computer. If you choose to develop on the IC, you will need to install LabVIEW and the necessary toolkits. If you develop on another PC, you can build an executable that runs on the IC, in which case you would only need to install the necessary runtime engine(s), which would take a lot less space than installing the LabVIEW development environment. 

Kind Regards,

Aaron Douglass
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,692 Views)

Aaron's information is correct, but ideally since the IC is WES7 you would have a separate development PC.  The IC has 4 GB of RAM and 2 GB of non volatile memory so I don't even think you can get a LabVIEW development system onto it.

For other National Instruments controller's with WES7 there are ways of populating it in a project and treating it similar to how National Instruments treats RT targets, but I can't find any public documentation for the IC.  

Ideally, development looks like this.  You have your Vision system setup at your development computer.  Your development computer will have LabVIEW, VDM, and what ever else you are going to use for your application.  Once you are done testing/developing you will create an installer for your project and then will wrap your application into an exe and all the necessary run time engines that it is dependent on.  You will then move the installer to the development computer and install the application.

Then ship it!  

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,664 Views)

You could also try this:

Getting Started with NI LabVIEW Remote Development

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/$CXIV/ATTACH-AEEE-9KJ4P6/$FILE/Getting_Started_NI_LV_Remote_Develop...

Link to Remote Development Tool

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-remote-development-target-support-2017/6527/en/

Hope this helps!

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,662 Views)