Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was trying to interface a RF spectrum analyser ( Anritsu make model No. MS710 C)

through GPIB ( NI-488.2 )in DOS environment using QBASIC 4.5 . While trying to acuire data from the instrument in the PC, I end up in data file that contains only zero value in each trace.What could be the problem? Is there any suitable program to do that?I was trying to interface a RF spectrum Analyser through GPIB ( NI-488.2 ) in DOS environment using QBASIC 4.5. While attempting to aquire data from the instrument to the PC, I end up in creating a data file that contains only zero value for each trace. What could be the problem? Is there any suitable program?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,940 Views)
through GPIB ( NI-488.2 )in DOS environment using QBASIC 4.5 . While trying to acuire data from the instrument in the PC, I end up in data file that contains only zero value in each trace.What could be the problem? Is there any suitable program to do that?Hello,

First, verify that you can communicate with your instrument using Interactive Control (IBIC). You can get to it by opening Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) and going to Tools/NI-488.2/Interactive Control. Do you know if your device recognizes the SCPI command "*IDN?" ? If it does, then try the following in IBIC:

ibfind gpib0 (opens the board for board level communication)
ibpad 0 (set the board's primary address to 0)
ibrsc 1 (configures the board as system controller)
ibsic (clears old errors and makes the board Controller in Charge)
ibsre 1 (puts the device in remote programming mode)
ibfind dev2 (opens the device (at PAD 2-you should replace the 2 with your PAD) for device level communication)
ibwrt "*IDN?" (queries the device for its identification-may not be understood by your specific instrument)
ibrd 100 (reads up to 100 characters-should return ID information from device)

If your device does not recognize *IDN?, then use a suitable command for your instrument.

If you get the ID information back, then your system is configured properly and the next step is to figure out what other
commands your instrument responds to. If this doesn't work then try the following.

set 488.2 (activates 488.2 commands)
SendIFC (clears the interface)
expert (puts the driver in expert mode)
findalllstn (finds all listeners on the bus-should give a count and give the PAD of each listener including the board)

Finding listeners will help you troubleshoot. If you didn't find listeners, make sure your device is connected and powered on and cables are
not damaged. Remember that 2/3 of the instruments on the bus must be powered on in order to establish communication with any of them.
If you get an error, refer to the following website for more troubleshooting tips.

http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/fca7838c4500dc10862567a100753500/e185e6be180ac660862568ea0080df3e?OpenDocument

If you can communicate with your instrument in IBIC, then the problem is probably in the code. Make sure that the data that is being imported to the PC is not being rounded to too few decimal places (leaving you with only zero's).

I hope this helps.

Kim L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,940 Views)
through GPIB ( NI-488.2 )in DOS environment using QBASIC 4.5 . While trying to acuire data from the instrument in the PC, I end up in data file that contains only zero value in each trace.What could be the problem? Is there any suitable program to do that?Dear Kim,
Thanks for your information.It seems that the Pc can communicate with the instrument. Please see the attched doc file ( Although I have not understood the significance of the '?'-mark in IDN response).
I THINK IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THE CODE. I have 'QBIB.Obj' and 'QBDECL.BAS' files from which I created quick library 'QBIB.QLB'. Please also find enclosed a program for aquiring the data from the instrument.Using this program I am getting data containing only zero values.I would like to know where is the problem?

With regards,
Sujit
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,940 Views)