From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using Labview in Real-Time DAQ. I have several interrupt control lines from PC to cont

rol an external device. I have faced a problem that is how to send a "1" or "0" signal which lasts a time period of ns to specific lines. Because in Labview, all functions provided were milliseconds. I need ns. Please give me some help about this. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,529 Views)
rol an external device. I have faced a problem that is how to send a "1" or "0" signal which lasts a time period of ns to specific lines. Because in Labview, all functions provided were milliseconds. I need ns. Please give me some help about this. Thanks!Hello,

Depending on what board you are using I would look at the user manual for that board;
http://www.ni.com/manuals
Also there is a website called Developers Zone. Here people can post examples as well there are tutorials and walkthroughs for various measurements:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzoneweb.nsf
I hope this will help,
Doug
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,529 Views)
rol an external device. I have faced a problem that is how to send a "1" or "0" signal which lasts a time period of ns to specific lines. Because in Labview, all functions provided were milliseconds. I need ns. Please give me some help about this. Thanks!I'am afraid this is not possible without
extra equipment. Even a Real-Time system
does not go below few microseconds, while
a normal one uses miliseconds, that's why
the functions you found in LV are limited.
Use some fast speed programable timer/counters,
you set them before in LV and they will do
the work alone.
If you are satisfied with pulses of 2*12.5 ns,
PCI 6002 is the device for you (8 fast
bi-directional 80MHz counter/timers plus a lot
of normal, non-real time ports). I'am using it
since 2 years and performs fine.
Success
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,529 Views)
rol an external device. I have faced a problem that is how to send a "1" or "0" signal which lasts a time period of ns to specific lines. Because in Labview, all functions provided were milliseconds. I need ns. Please give me some help about this. Thanks!A cheap and nasty way would be to apply a pulse to a resistor and capicator in series. Take your output across the resistor. The cap charges for a small time, and then blocks the current, causing the pulse to fall back to zero. Clean it up with a 7400 gate if you like. A value of R=100 ohm, C=10pm gives about a 1ns pulse.

A slightly nicer way would be to make a 1-shot with a 555 or similar chip and a few resistors and caps.
Message 4 of 5
(3,529 Views)
rol an external device. I have faced a problem that is how to send a "1" or "0" signal which lasts a time period of ns to specific lines. Because in Labview, all functions provided were milliseconds. I need ns. Please give me some help about this. Thanks!I would agree with Mike. The best way to get reliable time-based solution in ns is to use an external circuit.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,529 Views)