From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Derived Clock less than 5MHz in cRIO-9039

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi experts,

My goal is to run FPGA code using Single Cycle Timed Loop using 3MHz or less frequency. The problem I am facing now is cRIO-9039's FPGA Target appears not supporting deriving the clock to less than 5MHz (1/8 derive rate of 40MHz).

I use IP Integration Node that only supports running inside of Single Cycle Timed Loop so using while loop seems not an option (I tried.. then complained).

The compile result says Maximum possible rate is 3.3MHz. So I should be able to compile my code just fine if I use 5MHz or slower rate.

Thank you in advance

SKTheLimit
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,609 Views)

The problem I am facing now is cRIO-9039's FPGA Target appears not supporting deriving the clock to less than 5MHz (1/8 derive rate of 40MHz).

Are you getting an error? Or is it just not letting you type in a value less than 5MHz?

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,580 Views)

It lets me type the frequency but the adjusted (closest to requested) frequency is much higher.

For example, if I type 3MHz, it's only possible to make 4.69MHz. If I type 10Hz, still 4.69MHz.

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 9.29.00 AM.png

SKTheLimit
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,567 Views)
Solution
Accepted by SKTheLimit

I tried it on my side and 4.69MHz seems to be the lower limit. 

I know you mentioned that you were seeing 3.3MHz in the compile results. Could you post a screenshot of this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,552 Views)

@shrupa123 wrote:

I tried it on my side and 4.69MHz seems to be the lower limit. 

So it is the limit. That is all I wanted to know. Is this documented somewhere? 

Thank you

SKTheLimit
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,533 Views)

This specification has to do with the VCO operating range of the Xilinx Kintex-7 7K325T FPGA in the 9039. The datasheet for Kintex-7 FPGAs is found here.

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,520 Views)