From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to continuously measure the distance between two line profiles?

Hello,

I am working on a project where I am using two laser sensors, one at the top and one at the bottom. There is a conveyor line exactly between the sensors, and a continuous rubber strip is placed on it, whose thickness I would like to measure. I want to display it on a graph and also numerically, if possible. 

I have attached a zip file that includes the code and an image that shows what I am trying to do. To get the thickness, my logic is that I basically have to calculate the distance between the line profiles which I want to show in the third blank graph. The code that I had earlier written for the calculation, you can see in the second image.

However, the result that I got with this code doesn't make any sense at all. Could anyone give me any hints of a better way to calculate this? 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,342 Views)

This doesn't seem like a real time problem specifically. You might get some more attention on one of the other forums. When you say you want to get the thickness, are you looking for like an average "thickness", a minimum thickness, standard deviation, etc? Maybe send us some data in a table format. This should be solvable in spreadsheet program like excel. From there, we can probably implement the solution in LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,313 Views)

Hello nanocyte,

I realized that I didn't post in the right forum almost immediately, so I posted in one other forum too. I would be happy with just the average thickness, but my ultimate goal is to get the minimum, maximum and the std deviation too. I have an idea how to do this mathematically, but to implement that in LabVIEW is proving to be difficult.

Now when you say "send some data in a table format", could you tell me what sort of data you mean? Meanwhile with this reply, I have attached an excel file that summarizes shortly and in simple words, what I intend to do and how. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,299 Views)

I was looking for just table data like this. And, if you had an excel formula for calculating the average distance, that might be helpful. Also, post a link to the other discussion so we don't operate redundantly.

Line1

X  Y

1  2

2  5

3  8

Line2

X  Y

2  5

5  9

6  11

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,286 Views)

Hello,

Link to the other post - https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-continuously-measure-the-distance-between-two-line/m-p/38125...

I have attached an excel file with the formula and expected values from the sensors.

About the excel table data, I don't know of a way to get my sensor data onto an excel file. I am basically getting the laser line profiles on a graph where the X co-ordinate is the length of the laser line and the Z co-ordinate is the height. I would be using the Z co-ordinates for my calculations and the expected values, I have noted down in the attached excel file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,281 Views)