From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a USB sensor to the SBRIO 9632?

Hi, my name is Juan, right now I'm working in a mobile robot and I'm using the SBRIO 9632, but I have a problem, I have a sensor with USB interface, but I can't find any C module or some tool to connect this sensor to my board... if somebody has a clue on this.. or better a solution..I would be very thankful...

Juan E Tapiero

University of Texas at Austin

Escuela de Ingeniería de Antioquia 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,294 Views)

There *might* be an indirect way to communicate. Have a look at the following KB articles to get an idea (I have not tried it, so not sure if it will work):

What Operating System is my Real-Time Controller Running and Why?
Can I Control a USB Device with NI-VISA on a CompactRIO Controller?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,275 Views)

Hi, thanks this solution might be useful, but right now the main problem is that I don't even have a USB port in my SBRIO, so the thing is that I need a hardware solution first, something like a C module with USB port (as far as I know it doesn't exist).. or even and USB to serial adapter (the problem here is how to install or program the drivers in the SBRIO and of course the sensor's speed changes).... the sensor i'm working with also has Ethernet interface but the only Ethernet port the SBRIO has is intended first for the programming and after that for the wireless link so I can't use it....

Thanks

Juan E Tapiero

University of texas at Austin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,268 Views)
I apologize, for some reason I assumed you were using a cRIO....total mess up on my part. Let me look/ask around to see if I can find a solution for you.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,260 Views)

Ok, thank you.. hoping to know if actually there is a solution...

Juan E Tapiero

University of Texas at Austin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,238 Views)

Hi Juan,

There currently isn't an sbRIO that has a USB port or a second Ethernet port.  Are the only means of communication with the sensor through Ethernet and USB?  Another option would be to use an alternative method of wireless communication on the board that doesn't use the Ethernet port.  You can find more information in this Developer Zone article.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,218 Views)

Thank you very much.. I think that might be my solution, but I have one last question... can I use the ethernet  port in my Sbrio to read the sensor information?and could you give (if you know) an example?

Juan E Tapiero

University of texas at Austin

Escuela de Ingenieria de Antioquia

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,201 Views)

You may be able to use the Ethernet port from your Single-Board RIO to read data from the sensor, but its difficult to tell without knowing anything about the sensor.  If the sensor uses TCP/IP or UDP to transmit and receive data, then it should be possible to write a driver in LabVIEW RT to talk to the sensor.  How complex and involved that driver may need to be will depend on the sensor.

Probably the easiest method to use Ethernet to program, connect to a wireless adapter, and talk to the sensor would be to use a small Ethernet router or hub.  You can then perform all of the needed operations without connecting and disconnecting Ethernet cables, or adding another layer of programming complexity by implementing wireless communication through the serial port.  There are small, industrial DC powered, Ethernet hubs available for reasonable prices online.  Or you can get a hub with wireless communication and solve the multiple Ethernet issues and wireless at the same time.  I've bought similar boards from Routerboard before...

If you can verify that you can use LabVIEW and Ethernet to successfully talk to your sensor, then you may want to look at these routerboards...

RB450

RB433

Hope this helps,
spex

Message Edited by Spex on 03-24-2010 06:10 PM
Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
Message 8 of 14
(6,195 Views)

Hello

I'm interested to know how to communicate to sbRIO 9632 without an ethernet cable??

I have just bought the NI Robotic Starter kit and I would like to connect to this kit wireless, I read in the replies that there is wireless router that can do this task.

I heared about connectblue and others but I'm confused 

I would like a recommendation for the wireless router board compatible with this robotic kit ( containg 9632 sbRIO).. (I would like site having price list)

Will it be powered from the Robotic starter kit Battery?

Will this wireless router board allow me to send commands and recieve status ?

What about the connections of this router board to the SbRIO 9632 in th robotic kit, Where to be connected??

Does this procedure require any kind of sofware  driver for  labview for sending and receiving the commands and telemetry status resp.? 

Sorry for maybe such questions but I hope to get help

Thanks

A.Hakim
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,761 Views)

As far as I understand, you need to connect a router or wireless bridge via the ethernet port.  This means that the router or wireless bridge (a standard one that you would use at home) needs to be powered on the robot.  Here is the one that I've used for reference to hook up my router to the robotics starter kit:  https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12952. There are more links at the bottom for other posts of relevance.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,742 Views)