From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure the eth1 port of NIcRIO 9024 to another IP address and subnet mask

Hi ,

I am using cRIO 9024 and am planning to configure it to be an MMS server that interacts with a client which is in another network with different IP and subnetmask. I want to run the server VIs from the host computer via the eth0 port and want to communicate the MMS messages through the eth1 port. the eth0 port is configured as a static IP as shown in the screenshot attached and would like to assign a separate IP and subnet mask to the other port . But when I try to save the configuration I get the error "Could not save your changes tot he target.The subnet mask for eth1 is invalid" .

I have already directly cross connected the Crio and have disabled the firewalls and still am not able to configure it.

1) is it possible to configure the ethernet ports to have separate IPs corresponding to different networks and thus the subnet masks?

2) If its possible then what is the mistake i am doing while configuring it ?

I would be extremaly grateful to have a reply on this as its pretty desperate to spend a lot of time just to set up the IP configurations..!!!!!

Regards

AbhinavError.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,565 Views)

Dear Abhinav,

I'm sorry but what you are tryining to do is not suported by the Second Ethrnet Port on any cRIO and so you getting this error meeage.

Here a abstract out ouf the KnowledgeBase How do I Configure the Dual Ethernet Ports on Real-Time Controllers?:

Ethernet port 2 is currently not supported to communicate outside its own subnet. There is no capability of configuring the Default Gateway for Ethernet port 2 and therefore cannot connect to a large isolated intranet.  However, there appears to be a common misconception that this port can only be used for communication between NI products: this is not the case, though any communication through the secondary port must be within the same subnet.

Kind Regards,

SG3 | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | NIG |

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,534 Views)

There's no "gateway" IP address for eth1, so eth1 can't route outside of the network specified by the IP and subnet mask of eth1.  According to the KB, "Ethernet port 2 must be configured with a static IP that does not reside in the same subnet of Ethernet port 1."  The IP address and subnet mask of eth1 are on a different network than eth0.  I don't read anything in the original post that indicates eth1 is trying to route through a gateway.  So, what about this configuration is unsupported?

Thanks,

-Steve K

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,522 Views)

Dear Steve,

The reason that this Subnet mask is invalid is that is just wrong.

A Subnet Mask for his IP should like “255.255.255.192” like the one at Eth0.

Here are some Links where you could read how to configure a Subnet mask correctly.

- Subnetwork

- IPv4 subnetting reference

Kind Regards,

SG3 | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | NIG |

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,504 Views)

Thank you all,

I had changed the subnet mask that starts with 255.255.. for my case it was 255.255.255.248 , and I had configured the eth1 with another IP address and subnet mask . But  I could not ping this eth1 from another PC in the same network of eth1 . But when I configured eth0 I could ping. But i really wanted to seperate the functions of the ethernet ports , eth0 should be connected to host PC(to run the VIs)and eth1 configured in another network and exchange the measurements in that network . Is there a method to do this ?

Thanks for your responses

Regards

Abhinav

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,501 Views)

As long as eth1 is communicating to devices with different host addresses on the same network it should work.  This is probably a networking issue.  Post screen shots of the cRIO's network configuration and the host's network configuration.  Diagram the network devices between the two computers.  Check the cables.  Try a cross-over cable directly to a host on the eth1 network.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,482 Views)