From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to USB signal on RMC for 9605 sbRIO ?

Hello,

Is it possible to the use USB signals (available on the RMC) of a sbRIO 9605 to wire to a USB port connector  (on a daughter board) ?

The 9605 has no onboard USB port.

In other word, it possible to use USB feature by routing USB signals on this 9605 board ? Do we need a 9606 ?

I know that the 9606 has got one USB port but it is on the sbRIO board and we would like to add the USB connector on daughter board or on casing.

Thank you in advance

Jerome

The question 9606

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,595 Views)

Hi Jerome,

unfortunatly, the RMC connector gives access to USB only on board which have USB port, so you need an sbRIO-9606.

You can find more information on this at this link :

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13776/en (Section 3.c Pin linsting"The MISC section gives access to the power lines, ground and USB (sbRIO-9606 only).")

I hope this answer you question

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,577 Views)

Hi Jerome,

I want to ensure you get an accurate answer.  The reference material that Audrey_P located is unfortunately incorrect.  The RMC minimum features set is consistent across all current sbRIO devices that include a RIO Mezzanine Card connector.  This minimum set includes:

Minimum Feature Set

• 64 FPGA DIO Lines
  • USB Data Pair
  • RTC Backup Battery Input

Extended Feature Set

• Up to 32 Additional FPGA DIO (96 Total)
  • IO count will be FPGA specific

Therefore, the sbRIO-9605 also includes a USB data pair on the RMC connector which can be used via a custom RMC.

When you build a custom RMC, I recommend you follow the design guidelines outlined in this RMC Design for NI Single-Board RIO presentation created by the NI design team for NI Single-Board RIO.

Specifically, the referenced presentation states:

Supports mass storage devices

• Same support as front panel USB
  • Can be used for removable storage (SD, Compact Flash, Etc.)
  • Connect to device on RMC or USB connector

Routing Guidelines:

• 90 ohm differential impedance.
  • Length match the data pair.
  • Avoid routing near other high frequency signals

When using with off board connector:

• ESD Protection on data lines is recommended.
  • VBUS (+5V) going out USB connector should have over current protection.
  • RST# should gate when VBUS receives power. This will ensure any USB devices are reset when the processor is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
Message 3 of 3
(5,573 Views)