Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting cRIO NI9147 to run an FPGA VI idependantly

I've successfully programmed my FPGA to handle all our RIO's I/Os, but I'd like the RIO to run independently of my computer. Is it possible to get the FPGA to execute the program on it's own, preferably without using real-time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,225 Views)

Hello,

I'd take a look in this article: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9mASAS

It should help you setup your FPGA code to run when the device boots instead of triggering it from your computer.

Tyler O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,194 Views)

Hi Tyler,

The article you linked was the one I based this project off of, but I'm convinced there are some steps missing from that article, because I was able to get my RIO program working using LabVIEW run time, and conveniently when I powered up the FPGA this morning while it was unplugged for the host computer, it just worked. Until that is I tried updating the the FPGA software and it went back to need the host computer. Now I'm not sure which of the many settings I messed with caused it to work, but if anyone knows what the correct settings are that would be extremely helpful.

• Scan Mode or FPGA Mode?
  • Do you load the software onto the RIO from the Project interface or by loading the bitfile with the RIO device setup tool?
  • Does compiling by running a build from you build specifications automatically load the software onto the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,190 Views)