cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections between cRIO 9024 and host computer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, all

I got  a brand new NI cRiO 9024 and several modules for data logging a few days ago. I have set-up the IP address for the cRIO which is 10.0.0.2 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 which is same with that I made for the host computer (different IP address). I installed the software I need on the RT controller. During the whole process, I have turned the firewall off. I am using MAX 5.0 and NI cRIO 4.0. Both of them are the latest version. I built the connection between the cRIO and my computer successfully. However, the target is always disconnected from the host computer even though I do not have action on the cRIO, i.e.. Without running any software on it. The status of the disconnection is got from the MAX but surprisingly, I can ping through the IP address of the cRIO. So it seems to me that the connection between the host computer and the cRIO has been established.

I did try to run simple a code on the target but unfortunately, the disconnection also occurs frequently. I checked the target CPU and the memory usage, both of which are low. So I concluded that the disconnection is not generated by the high CPU or memory usage. 

I also tried to reformat the cRIO and reinstall all of the software but it does not have effect.

I also found that a warning appears regularly on the MAX interface that ''There was a problem retrieving the settings for the target. For more information, go to ni.com/info and enter the Info Code MAXServerUnkownError. Contact National Instruments if the problem persists'. I have checked MAXServerUnkownError from 

ni.com and followed the instructions to ensure that there is no wrong configuration on my computer like firewall etc. However, no wrong doing was found. 

Can anyone else help me find out what is wrong? 

Regards

Wenxu 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,235 Views)

Hello Wenxu,

This is Andrew Brown, an Applications Engineer from National Instruments. In order to clarify the issues you are seeing, I would appreciate if you could answer two sets of questions.

With the firewall turned off on the host computer:

1. Did you experience any disconnections in MAX?

2. Did you experience any disconnections running simple code on the cRIO 9024 through LabVIEW?

With the firewall turned on on the host computer:

3. Is the cRIO 9024 detected in MAX under remote systems?

4. Is the cRIO 9024 detected in LabVIEW if you open an Empty project, right click on the project, and select New»Targets and Devices?

Also, some troubleshooting steps you can take are disabling the antivirus on your computer and removing MAX database corruption. For MAX 5.0, removing database corruption just requires selecting Tools»Reset Configuration Data.

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,224 Views)

Hi, Andrew

Thanks for your reply. 

I should say yes to all of your questions.

I also reseted the Configuration Data in  MAX but it does not work. 

Do you have other ideas?

Regards

Wenxu 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,217 Views)

Anybody can give some ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,210 Views)

I just gave this same advice in another thread. I have experienced issues with cRio connections when I don't install the software in the following order: 1. Labview, 2. RT Module, 3. NI Rio Drivers.

Maybe your problem is not as simple as what I am suggesting, but maybe it is.

Good luck!

--------------------

J.R. (CLAD)

Javier Ruiz - Partner at JKI
jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,198 Views)

Thanks, Jarctec

I am using the labview 2011 and I have all of the labivew modules installed. The problem is not from improper installation of the software.

Regards

Wenxu

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wenxu

Hello Wenxu,

Thank you for answering my questions. I have more questions that should lead to a solution for your disconnections:

1. Is the NI-Timesync add-on installed on the cRIO?

2. Are you able to disable the antivirus on your computer?

The NI-Timesync add-on has been found to cause frequent disconnections with cRIOs in LabVIEW 2011. To view the add-on, you will need to right click on Software under the cRIO, select Add/Remove Software, and select the Custom software installation option. If it is installed, I recommend removing this add-on from the cRIO to help resolve the disconnections.

Please let me know if the disconnections continue after removing NI-Timesync and disabling the antivirus.

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,180 Views)

Thanks, Andrew

After I removed the NI-Timesync, the problem gone.

Regards

Wenxu

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,172 Views)

Hello Wenxu,

I'm glad the disconnections stopped once you removed the NI-TimeSync plugin. This is a known problem with NI-TimeSync 1.1.1 that is documented in CAR 317220. The problem occurs only when the Real-Time target is using a static IP address. The known workarounds for this issue are:

1. Use DHCP to assign an IP address to the Real-Time target

2. Downgrade to NI-TimeSync 1.0.1

3. Remove NI-TimeSync from the controller

4. Disable Precision Time Protocol (PTP)

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,160 Views)