From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA code using the Crio with SSI communication for the SEA 9521

Hello,

I am new to using FPGA with the Crio. I am currently trying to receive data from the SICK KHK53-AXT00038 encoder (https://cdn.sick.com/media/pdf/2/92/692/dataSheet_KHK53-AXT00038_1030050_en.pdf) connected to the SEA 9521 bus connected to a Crio. The SICK encoder uses a four-wire transmission with a M23 male device connector using RS-422. I have followed the software guild for the SEA 9521(file:///C:/Users/jonathan/Downloads/SEA-9521_SoftwareManual.pdf) but am not getting the data from the encoder. From what I have read from other forums I need to convert the RS422 (10-30v) to TTL and I am not sure how to go about that. Most examples I have found use RS232. So I wanted to see if there is to use FPGA with SSI to communicate with the encoder that I have. If this is not clear enough please let me know so that I can clarify any missing information that would be needed.

Thank you,

Jonathan Johnson 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,229 Views)

Hey,

I do have some follow up questions:

1. I am not clear what SSI communication is?

2. Are you connecting directly into the cRIO or into a module on the cRIO?

Thanks,

-Brian J.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,208 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

The SEA 9521 is made and retailed by SEA GmbH. I'd recommend reaching out to the support contact on the SEA 9521's product page under 'Services' with this question. Looking at the description for the module, this sounds like it might be a common question for them.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,196 Views)