Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluating Labwindows RT

Hello all,

I'd like to play with the RT variant of LabWindows/CVI.

I have a full site license with everything... but I have a few questions.

- So I've created the USB key from [MAX][Tools][Create Desktop PC Utility USB Drive]

- for testing purpose I want to run it in a VirtualBox virtual machine, so I converted that USB key to a vmdk with "sudo VBoxManage convertfromraw /dev/sdc usb.vmdk --format vmdk" and used that disk for a new VM. It boots, but when I select [Evaluation] I get:

Intel 8254x Ethernet driver ... found 1 device
Initializing Network... Unable to configure the primary network device

The VM is netup as a NAT network, with a dhcp:

VBoxManage natnetwork add --netname natnet1 --network "192.168.15.0/24" --enable -dhcp on

So why can't the RT target find an IP address ? The upper box says (what does it all mean BTW ?):

Dev: *1

Op M: Int

Link: D

Driver: i8254x

Mac: ...

IP Address/Mask: blank

Adapter mode: TCP/IP (Auto)

Also I have a license question. I have a RT development license, but when I boot that RT target, I get "RT requires a license. Refer to ni.com/info & enter RT_Deployment for details". Doesn't my license include at least one RT target ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,543 Views)

First thing that would need to be verified is that the network adapter of the system is supported by our software, which is detailed in the following document.

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/8239/en/

Working with a virtual machine is not supported, and as such we can't guarantee in any way that it would work correctly and unexpected errors may arise that we may not be able to assist with. At the moment we would recommend making sure that hardware requirements are met and that you are following this procedure, ideally not with a virtual machine, and see what is the result of that.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/2733/en/

In relation to the license, it is necessary to have a deployment license, which is separate from the development ones, and one is required each system you wish to use as an RT target.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,519 Views)

Thanks for the answers.

I have the Intel PRO/1000 MT 82540EM and it is listed and _seems_ to work (other cards don't even register in the target) as I see the link UP.

The VM is just for tests, I understand the 'no promise' from NI.

What happens when you don't have a license on an RT target ? Can you still do tests for a limited time ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,516 Views)

There should be an evaluation period of 7 days for the deployment license once you are able to successfully install the software in the system.

Are you unable to proceed at all after the mentioned that there's no license?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,504 Views)

I just tried on an old laptop with a valid network card. The validation menu says it should work, but I also get a 169 IP address when on a standard local network... I feel like something's missing. A config somewhere ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,501 Views)

I haven't specifically with an RT desktop, however that would be consistent with the initial settings for our other RT devices, and example of this on page 3 in the following manual.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376935d_03.pdf

Depending on your network configuration it may not be getting an IP Adress from a DHCP server, in which case the 1639.254.x.x IP would make sense. Have you noted if you are able to establish communication with the system through this address, even with something simple like a ping command.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,488 Views)