From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -88900 occurred at Device Communication

Hello,

I am running a system, controlled by LabView, that uses two remote systems for real-time measurements. The remote systems are connected to the host computer via Ethernet cable. Recently, our primary host computer crashed and now we are trying to run the system from our secondary computer using the same LabView project code. Currently, I am having trouble establishing communication between the new host and the target computers, as shown in the picture I've attached. I thought that updating all NI software on the target and hosts would solve the problem, but it seems that it has not. As far as I can tell, the targets and host have the same version of all the remote systems software. Could anyone help me determine what's going wrong here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,064 Views)

Seems like a network issue, instead of a driver issue. Some things I would try:

1. Can you ping the remote system from the host system?
  2. You might need to set the host IP address manually, to match the subnet of the remote system.
    1. Windows -> Network Status -> Change adapter options -> Right click ethernet network adapter -> properties -> IPV4 setings -> properties -> use the following IP address
    2. IP address: 169.254.156.1
    3. Subnet: 255.255.0.0

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,041 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I tried pinging both remote systems and it seemed like that worked (I've attached a screen capture). I also changed the host IP address according to your suggestion, but the problem persists. Though I'm not sure it makes a difference, I should also note that only one of the remote systems has a 169.254.156 IP address, the other is a 169.254.31 address. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,007 Views)

I am experiencing the same issue, and I am not convinced that it is a network problem. Notice how in both cases, the highest level hardware item in the tree shows connected and okay. But the error shows up on the chassis sub-item.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(994 Views)