Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse: "arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc": Launching failed

I created a new project hello following the link:

Archived: Getting Started with C/C++ Development Tools for NI Linux Real-Time, Eclipse Edition - NI

I am using C & C++ Development Tools for NI Linux Real-Time 2017.

The source code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
puts("!!!Hello World!!!"); /* prints !!!Hello World!!! */
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

When "Build project", I got the error:

JialingJade_0-1672123496810.png

The truncated line is:

arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include\\c++\\4.9.2\\" "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include\\c++\\4.9.2\\arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi" "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=softfp "--sysroot=C:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi" -o "src\\hello.o" "..\\src\\hello.c"

I do not know why Launching failed.

However, if I use the windows command window, switch to the project's Debug folder, and run command, there is no error.

C:\Users\name\helloWorld\hello\Debug>arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include\\c++\\4.9.2\\" "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include\\c++\\4.9.2\\arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi" "-IC:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi\\usr\\include" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=softfp "--sysroot=C:\\build\\17.0\\arm\\sysroots\\cortexa9-vfpv3-nilrt-linux-gnueabi" -o "src\\hello.o" "..\\src\\hello.c"

I can see hello.o was generated.

It means arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc can be found in the PATH.

JialingJade_1-1672123891585.png

Any idea why it failed in eclipse, but succeeded in Windows command line?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(845 Views)

Hi JialingJade

The error occurs as this tutorial can only be used specifically for Real-Time (RT) Targets running NI Linux Real-Time. In this case, the cRIO-9082 can only run the NI Phar Lap ETS and thus is not compatible with this tutorial. Older and legacy RT Targets do not support the use of NI Linux Real-Time.

To compile C code onto RT Targets running NI Phar Lap ETS National Instruments recommends you use CVI Real-Time for C-based shared libraries.

For C++, National Instruments strongly recommends using the MSVC 2009 or MSVC 2010 compilers.

For more information follow this link

Regards)

________

Best way to thank is to give Kudos / Mark as a solution.

Message 2 of 4
(679 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I am using sbRIO-9637 board.

Actually the eclipse environment worked very well before. However it stopped working one day. So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Reinstall does not help though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(661 Views)

You can find current documentation and tutorials for developing on NI Linux RT here:

https://nilrt-docs.ni.com/

Read through the tutorial first, as there are differences between x86 and ARM7 builds, Sample project templates for x86 and ARM 7 are included at the end. 

As was commented elsewhere, Visual Studio is the recommended development environment. Eclipse can be 'challenging' to setup and keep working, as it sounds like you may be discovering. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(649 Views)