Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digitizer to do A/D then output to fpga to process

Hi all,

I am new to FPGA. Hope you can help me with this. I have 2 PXI cards, namely PXI-5922 (digitizer) and PXI-7833R(Fpga). I need to capture an analogue input with at least 1Mhz sampling rate; however this cannot be satisfied by the FPGA card whose limit is 200kHz/channel. Hence i am wondering if i can input the analog signal into 5922 and then output the digital signal from 5922 to the FPGA card.

Is this idea feasible? What problems may i face?

Regards,
FW
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,059 Views)

Hi FW,

You certainly can do that! The only thing you will have to take into consideration is the fact that you will still have the 200kHz limit with the 7833R and so it will either miss some of the input from the 5922 or you will only have to ouput at the rate the 7833R can input. Good luck with the application! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thanks!

Stephanie

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,008 Views)

FW,

Can you describe in more detail what you will do with the data on the FPGA card. The best normal way to pass data from the 5922 to the 7833 is to pass the data from the digitizer to the main application using DMA and then use DMA again to pass it to the 7833. However, this will require the main application to interact and handle the data passing it from one DMA channel to the other. Given today's fast processors you should be able to do this at 1 MHz.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,419 Views)