cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying a NI cRIO outside of LabVIEW Development Environment

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am attempting to deploy a stand alone application through NI MAX outside of the LabVIEW programming environment for testing purposes. I have followed the steps and have added a starting program into the NI cRIO's software, however I am confused on the next steps to take. Is there any ideas on steps that I can take next?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,399 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kepham

From LabVIEW if you create a Package build spec, you should be able to add your startup application to it and build a package (IPK). You should be able to select build specification for your startup application from the Project Files window and click the right arrow and it will automatically place everything in the correct spot for the Destination as shown below.

https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/systemlink/latest/deployment/creating-packages-labview-package-b...

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.40.49 PM.png

From there you will need to upload the package to a feed and add the feed to the target before you can install it with MAX or something like SystemLink, which is also able to server as package repository.  As an easy alternative you can do something like the following to push the package directly to target.

https://github.com/joshuaprewitt/rt-package-installer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,384 Views)

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for answering, my biggest question that does not makes sense to me is that, once I upload my package to MAX or a startup file, how would the computer without LabVIEW access the front panel of my VI? 

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,373 Views)

Most RT applications run headless unless you develop a separate application to run on the host which communicates to the RT application using some protocol (HTTP or TCP) you design.

Some RT targets (i.e. PXI and cRIO-904x) do have native display support, which when enabled (Embedded UI) from MAX allows you to connect a monitor directly to the RT target to view and interact with the front panel.

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 4.27.08 PM.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,362 Views)