Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY DAQ interfacing with LABVIEW

Hello,

I am in my last year of Engineering and have a final project that requires us to implement our own DAQ device that can utilize LABVIEW to process information. I am looking for any help in regards to selecting an already existing proto-board that has DSP and DAQ functionalities and how to then connect the final product to LABVIEW. The overall idea is to provide a cheap, efficient, and open-source DAQ to be used by both professionals and students.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,497 Views)

Like an Arduino or RaspberryPi?  The Arduino would probably be the simplest since a lot has already been done with a library called LINX.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,483 Views)

Yes, and thanks for replying! Looking for something like the Arduino, but not the Arduino specifically. We need something that has a little more resolution when measuring signals coming into the system (looking for at least 100kS/s). So we are looking into different proto-boards that offer ADC sampling rates that meet this specification but cannot find much literature on the ability and ease to interface these proto-boards with the LABVIEW environment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,480 Views)

Probably more than you want, but there is the myRIO which is built upon the cRIO platform, utilizing LabVIEW Real Time and LabVIEW FPGA.  To then interface with a PC with LabVIEW, just use TCP/IP or Network Streams.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,472 Views)

Yea, that is similar to what is currently being used. Our job is to make it cheaper but still work! Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,466 Views)

It's not super unusual for the eval kits to be supplied with LabVIEW drivers and of course schematics/source code/BOM etc. I guess you could just start stripping out stuff that you don't need to keep lowering the cost.

https://ez.analog.com/thread/47604

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,454 Views)

I don't have a specific board in mind, but Texas Instruments and OMEGA make some cheap-sih data acquisition boards. Raspberry Pi and Arduino are good but won't give you the resolution and sample rates you are looking for. 

This will probably be fairly tricky, just because a lot of data acquisition boards tend to be expensive no matter what. Just make sure there are some drivers for whatever board you go with. That way you can interface with it in LabVIEW easily using the call library function node.

CH
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/en-us/support.html
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,430 Views)