Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting cRio 9074's second ethernet port to another device via VISA

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to connect a Yokogawa DAQ system to a cRio 9074 via the second ethernet port. I have enabled the second ethernet port of the cRio with a static IP address in the same subnet as the DAQ system. I have installed NI-VISA and NI-SERIAL on the cRio. I can compile the code on the cRio and I am sure the code works when I connect the DAQ to a PC. I get an error on the VISA Open VI.

Am I missing something or is it not possible to connect to the second ethernet port of the cRio this way?

Thank you,

Javier Ruiz - Partner at JKI
jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,097 Views)

Hi,

According to the theory behind NI-VISA, there is no restriction here because it can communicate using Ethernet.  However, I haven't found any applications that use the second ethernet port as a peripheral connection using NI VISA.  According to my investigation, this second port is used to communicate with a private network or an additional LabVIEW Real Time target. Besides, this second port does not support Shared Variables because the Shared Variable Engine is bound to one port (the first one).

However, you can use the serial port to communicate with your instrument using NI VISA.

Regards!

Anuar Rojas

Anuar R.
National Instruments México y Latinoamérica
Ingeniería de Aplicaciones
www.ni.com/soporte
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,070 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jarcTek

Thank you for your reply. I found the same information that you are providing but decided to give it a try.

A couple of minutes ago I was able to stablish the communication between the cRio's 2nd Ethernet port and the Yokogawa DAQ. I managed to do this using VISA commands. To communicate with the host PC, I get the information from the DAQ with the cRIO as mentioned above, and then use shared variables to publish the data to the network connected via the first ethernet port.

If someone wants to replicate this just make sure that both ethernet ports are configured with IP addresses on different subnets and configured for TCP communication. If further details are needed just send me a message.

Regards!

Javier Ruiz - Partner at JKI
jki.net
vipm.io
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,066 Views)

Hello jarcTek,

i have the same issue, could you please give me more information how you managed to use the 2nd cRIO Ethernet port.

Did you add the DAQ in MAX ?

What did you use as a Ressource name ?

i allways get an error on the VISA Open.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,585 Views)