Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Rio cRIO-9045 Power Over Ethernet.

Hi Can I safety plug a Ethernet cable which has PoE (48V) into a  cRIO-9045 . Note the cRIO will be powered by a separate DC power supply (24V). I do NOT want the CRIO to draw any power via PoE but I do want to communicate with the CRIO via the Ethernet cable (which has PoE).

Many thanks

Nick

P.S. sorry I should have mentioned the spec for the PoE is (IEEE 802. 3af/at)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,333 Views)
I guess cRIO 9045 doesn't support POE, so it is safe to say this device is not going to draw power from your POE adaptor.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,899 Views)

Hi nickgggg,

Based on our own guide to Power Over Ethernet, I cannot find any indication that the Ethernet sockets on cRIOs support Power Over Ethernet functionality. I've also done some background reading which suggests that Power Over Ethernet switches (and cables) need the device to request power through Ethernet in order for it to be provided.

That said, I would advise caution. I cannot confirm for myself whether a cRIO would draw power through the Ethernet port. If you can, I would recommend using a data-only Ethernet cable. If that's not possible, I would appreciate you letting us know whether you can use a PoE cable with a cRIO without drawing power, as it would be useful for future reference.

Regards,

Richard

Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,879 Views)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, I have asked the question of the PoE hub (well technically it is an Ethernet range extender) supplier and one of our inhouse electronics people am awaiting responses. 

I thought about using one of these Power Splitters from Farnell to add an extra level of safety.

Will let you know what is the outcome.

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,874 Views)