Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Programming Mode - Where is setting stored?

Solved!
Go to solution

When you change your chassis programming mode setting for your cRIO device and deploy the chassis setting, where is this token or setting stored on the cRIO system?

I would like to be able to programmatically read this information, modify and reboot the device programmatically if needed.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,851 Views)

Hi Ryan,

To clarify, do you mean you want to read/control whether the device is in Scan Interface mode vs FPGA Interface mode, or active vs configuration mode within Scan Interface mode?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(5,832 Views)

I want to read/control whether the chassis is in Scan Interface Mode vs FPGA Interface Mode.  Sorry for not being clear in my original post.

I am fine with having to go through a reboot process as that can be commanded from the RT code if it ends up being something in an INI file that can be modified and picked up when the controller restarts.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(5,804 Views)

Hello Ryan,

There is no existing information or an official way of how to programmatically produce this behavior that you want.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,786 Views)

Ryan

It might be worth you sharing why you want to programmatically swap between scan interface and FPGA just in case there are suggestions as to how to work around ?

Have you looked at hybrid mode - where you can select some of IO modules to be accessedible via Scan Interface mode and other modules through user-built FPGA VIs.

Andy

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,783 Views)

I'm trying to determine what is changed when you click DEPLOY in the project and the RIO backplane changes from Scan Engine Mode to FPGA mode.  We ARE using HYBRID MODE - buuuuut if the chassis is in Scan Engine Mode you can't load the bitfile programmatically.  This is the source of my question

The project has to be setting a flag somewhere when you hit Deploy and it puts the chassis in FPGA Mode or Scan Mode depening on your selection.

The work-around is to manually deploy the setting from the Project Explorer and go from there..but I can detect the issue programmatically when I try to deploy a bitfile and the chassis is in the wrong mode.  Its a shame it can't also be fixed programmatically.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,478 Views)

maybe the cRIO system configuration information library will help

http://www.ni.com/example/51852/en/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,469 Views)

Did anyone ever figure out how to do this programatically? I'm running into the same issue. I have a component definition file I use to install my rt startup on several cRIOs through MAX. I'd like to avoid having to open up a project every time I reinstall the software to change the programming mode from Scan Engine to FPGA...

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,163 Views)

Hi Knoxberry,

I agree with MarkCG that system configuration seems like the best bet for this change. However, I would recommend posting on a new forum as this one is more than a year old.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,153 Views)

Haven't figured it out yet - might need to revisit on current implementations.

A quick check of the Systems Palette referenced didn't show a way to do this.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,147 Views)