Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot configure NI 9148 IP Settings via MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Caveat: New user of NI HW and SW, just finished SW installations today.

Configuration:  

Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit

NIC1 - DHCP to corporate LAN

NIC2 - static config for test (multiple subnets)

CompactRIO 13.0.0

NI-RIO 13.0.1

MAX 5.5.1f0

NI 9148 (connected to NIC2)

NIC2 subnets:

10.5.1.x
10.5.2.x
10.6.1.x
10.8.x.x
10.9.x.x
169.254.x.x (added for NI 9148)

MAX finds the 9148, network settings defaulted to 'DHCP or Link Local' and '169.254.66.100'.

I change to 'Static' and '10.6.1.1' and '255.255.255.0', click Save, and then when I get the 

prompt 'You must restart the target for the changes to take effect', the Network Settings in 

the background have reverted to the DHCP/169.254.66.100.  I've tried clicking yes or no, followed

by cycling power or not and the results are the same--my settings are lost.  

I've tried with the 'ip reset' and 'safe mode' switches in different combinations at power up and 

when clicking save to no avail.  I've tried connecting through a Ethernet switch and via a cross-over 

cable.  I've tried different IP addresses and subnets (ie, 10.6.x.x) without success.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,851 Views)

Hi Brian,

It sounds like the problem could be that the IP reset switch is on when you restart the cRIO, but it would also be good to do a hard reset to make sure everything is in the right state. Please try the following steps.

1. Turn Safemode ON and IP Reset ON

2. Reset cRIO

3. Configure IP settings

4. Turn Safemode OFF and IP Reset OFF

5. Restart controller

6. Check if your settings are still applied.

As well, please make sure that any firewalls that could be interfering are off.

I hope this helps!

Emily C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,804 Views)
Hi Emily. I confirmed all firewalls are off. I tried your sequence two ways: with clicking 'Save' as step 3.5 and as 4.5 with no change. Whenever I click 'Save', the settings revert to DHCP. I just noticed that if I enter comments (on the System Settings tab), those changes are also discarded after I click 'Save' and before the 'You must restart the target...' prompt. I also tried removing all subnets from the NIC except 10.6.x.x and 169.254.x.x - no change. I also tried enabling all the PC NIC features 'Client for Microsoft Networks, Virtual PC Network Filter Driver, QoS Packet Scheduler, etc.' Normally only IPv4 is enabled on my test NIC. Anything else I can try? Would a WireShark capture of the session be helpful? Thanks. Brian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,796 Views)

Try deleting the remote system from MAX.  Then close and reopen MAX and try again. Its possible MAX's cache has somehow gotten confused.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,790 Views)
No change. Can MAX be installed without the full developer suite (or in trial mode) so I can try a different PC?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,783 Views)

Yep, just install NI System Configuration.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-system-configuration-5.5.1/4471/en/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,781 Views)
Tried on a second PC (laptop with XP SP3 32-bit, NIC1 = corporate LAN/DHCP, NIC2 = static 169.254.x.x and 10.6.x.x subnets). 9148 on NIC2, MAX failed to see it at all. Removed NIC2, connected 9148 to NIC1, MAX was able to configure IP to 10.6.2.100. After reset, MAX could not see 9148 on NIC1, but could on NIC2 after reinstalled. Able to load software. Repeated above with 2nd 9148. MAX cannot see it on either NIC. What else can I try?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author blawry
I found a way to make it work. The NI 9148 should be connected THROUGH the corporate LAN. It it self-configures via DHCP instead of link local (169.254.x.x), MAX is able to configure as expected. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,735 Views)