Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reach cRIO from a remote location

Hello everybody,

I am not very practical with this forum so I will relaunch my issue, as I didn't receive any reply. If I am using this forum in wrong way I will appreciate any advise on it.

I have a cRIO9022 on my LAN which I can connect to with the MAX application installed on my PC. That works fine.

Then, I place the cRIO in a remote location, which I can reach from my LAN through the Internet, by means of a WiFi modem-router in the remote location, connected to the cRIO. Now I cannot anymore connect to the cRIO9022 from my LAN.

My doubts:
1) Is there any guided procedure to establish the connection from MAX to the remote cRIO?

2) Do I have to set any particular rules in the remote router-modem? I have tried to do port forwarding but I do not know what ports MAX SW is using to reach the cRIO.

Thanks to everyone that can give me a hint with this issue, even partially!

Nice day,

G

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(862 Views)

There could be lots of possible issues, some basic and some subtle / in the detail, I'm not deeply knowledgable (but be assured this is possible - one of our projects accesses a cRIO remotely in this way):

• How are networking IP addresses setup - are they static of dynamic / DHCP? Can you connect computer in remote location to interrogate the IP address of the cRIO and check that is is accessible from local PC and remote PC via ping command.
  • Have you tried using an internet browser to access the cRIO via its IP address.
  • Does the routers / modems have the right firewall settings (e.g. specific ports open) to allow MAX to work.
  • I vaguely remember there may be things you need to enable or install on the cRIO to allow it to be accessed remotely that are normally disabled or uninstalled -especially for an older cRIO like 9022.
  • The cRIO we access remotely is done via a VPN - which may be needed.

Try reading through these more detailed posts to see if they identify anything specific:

I'm sure there will be loads of posts / articles once you get more specific on what the problem is.

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(831 Views)